Ping Gmax problem

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i bought Ping Gmax irons a few months ago and all was well until a couple of weeks ago when the "custom tuning port" or back weight fell out. Luckily I found the weight and took the club back to the pro who I bought them from. He repaired it and all was well. 2 weeks later 2 more clubs lost their weights, one I found but lost the other. The club that I lost the weight from has been sent back to Ping the repair the the other repaired by the pro.
Has anyone else have had/ heard of this problem with the Gmax?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
i bought Ping Gmax irons a few months ago and all was well until a couple of weeks ago when the "custom tuning port" or back weight fell out. Luckily I found the weight and took the club back to the pro who I bought them from. He repaired it and all was well. 2 weeks later 2 more clubs lost their weights, one I found but lost the other. The club that I lost the weight from has been sent back to Ping the repair the the other repaired by the pro.

Had similar issues with the tuning port in the I25's especially the 7 iron. It's been back to Ping three times for new ones now

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have lost 1 weight from my i25, twas the 9 iron. It was fixed without a problem but I did email Ping to express my dissatisfaction.
Surely their engineers can come up with a design where this does not happen! Better surface prep and decent epoxy glue should do the trick?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mine are never left wet and are stored in my shed or car.
My weight fell out after only 2 months or so. The rest have been fine, touch wood!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Mine are never left wet and are stored in my shed or car.
My weight fell out after only 2 months or so. The rest have been fine, touch wood!
This is a known problem with the i series, but I have not heard of it happening to a G series club before!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Nothing ever fell off the back of an eye 2 :)

That was because there was nothing to fall off an Eye 2! Modern Ping Irons have a so-called tuning port where lead weights can be added to achieve the desired swing weight. These are glued into place with a plastic cover glued on top. I have never personally had one fall off the several sets of Ping irons I have owned, but I have heard of it happening to others.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The eye 2 is reckoned to be the best iron that Ping ever produced, so why did they feel the need to 'improve' on it, other than for marketing reasons? :mmm:

No doubt fantastic when released but that does not make them better than their current irons.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
My G10's have lost weights. Seems to affect the short irons more. Ping replaced them free of charge last year, pretty good considering the clubs are ancient now.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My G10's have lost weights. Seems to affect the short irons more. Ping replaced them free of charge last year, pretty good considering the clubs are ancient now.

Could I have the secret please, because I'm trying to lose weight after Christmas! :)

Ticked off

Visit site

Ticked off

Visit site
Same thing with G30's. Weights gone from two 7 irons and one lob wedge. Contacted Ping to point out problem and no reply. I really don't care to keep sending them in for repair. Stored indoors in AC environment. Play 3-4 times per week. Currently using Mizuno muscle backs. They don't seem to have anything to fall off the club head. What next for cavity backs? Little dioramas of Civil War battles, or likenesses of golfing greats or?