PH software vs manual

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We discussed here before why two players with the same CH might get a different PH (since it’s calculated by the software from the exact CH).

I might have missed it but what was the guidance if any on a situation when a player is calculating CH manually from the tables. It probably doesn’t matter for normal play but for match play it may lead to some arguments/players being disadvantaged.

wjemather

Visit site
We discussed here before why two players with the same CH might get a different PH (since it’s calculated by the software from the exact CH).

I might have missed it but what was the guidance if any on a situation when a player is calculating CH manually from the tables. It probably doesn’t matter for normal play but for match play it may lead to some arguments/players being disadvantaged.
With the exception of greensomes, strokes received in match play are calculated from the rounded Course Handicap.
Singles: 100% difference from the lower CH
Four-ball: 90% difference from the lowest CH
Foursomes: 50% difference in combined CH

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With the exception of greensomes, strokes received in match play are calculated from the rounded Course Handicap.
Singles: 100% difference from the lower CH
Four-ball: 90% difference from the lowest CH
Foursomes: 50% difference in combined CH
What about 4BBB match play that is stipulated as:

Playing Handicap of each player is 90% of his Course Handicap. Player with lowest Playing Handicap plays off zero strokes relative to the other players.

wjemather

Visit site
What about 4BBB match play that is stipulated as:

Playing Handicap of each player is 90% of his Course Handicap. Player with lowest Playing Handicap plays off zero strokes relative to the other players.
The guidance (and method of calculation) in GB&I changed on 1st April.
(See example on page 48)

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The guidance (and method of calculation) in GB&I changed on 1st April.
(See example on page 48)
The guidance example says:
The full playing handicap is calculated (PH above) and then strokes received are calculated based from the lowest PH (Megan) and 90% of the differences (Strokes Received).
So in my example above the club rules are out of date/incorrect or can the club choose to do it as above?

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, they are out of date. Affiliated clubs within GB&I must follow the guidance.
Is the R&A website out of date too as they state the following?
2: In Four-Ball match play, player A plays off zero (0) strokes, player B receives 18 strokes (90% of the difference in Course Handicap from Player A), player C receives 10 strokes (90% of 11) and player D receives 27 strokes (90% of 30).

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, both state that it is 90% of the difference between the Course Handicaps.
?

As quoted in #6 the guidance on p.48 says:
“The full playing handicap is calculated (PH above) and then strokes received are calculated based from the lowest PH (Megan) and 90% of the differences (Strokes Received)”

D-S

Visit site
The Playing Handicap in 4BB is 100% of rounded Course Handicap, so they are both saying the same thing.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Playing Handicap in 4BB is 100% of rounded Course Handicap, so they are both saying the same thing.
Thank you, can you point me to a reference to PH = 100% CH for 4BB match play as it's all rather confusing? :unsure:

The PH table just says for 4BB match play that PH is 90%. So one would assume that when the guidance says: "The full playing handicap is calculated" we are supposed to be doing just that - taking 90% of CH to get to PH? Then taking differences to get our individual stroke allowances.