petrol chainsaw owners advice please

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
bought myself a cheap ebay one for xmas, any does and donts and some tips please to correct use etc. im not scared off it as i use power tools etc but some advice would be appreaciated

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
get some safety equipment, like chain mail , do a safety course , those things do not give you a second chance

Useful tool, but potentially the most deadly.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Make sure you only have 13 other clubs in the bag! :whistle:

Usefull, but don't shirk either the Safety or Maintenance aspects, otherwise extremely dangerous!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Like Phil said . Buy the forestry safety gear (helmet with visor and ear muffs) chain saw gloves and gators. You really can't be too safe. Only cut green wood ie trees etc, they are not designed for sleepers, joists or telegraph poles!

Don't get cocky with it, they can and do cause horrific injuries. Find a safety sheet for the use of it, read it and adhere to it. I used to own a hire business but wouldn't hire them as I knew a story of a local woman who hired one and damn near killed herself when it kicked back

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
not sure i need to do safety training. mas i do not bad with my wooden leg half an arm and one eye:p.
is it easier to wet wood or dry? or is it more dangerous cutting wet

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
mostly logging but i have a tree in my hoose to chop down, plus my mate has a lot of properties that i want the wood. i have two tons of wood in the back door in weird shapes n sizes and unsure how to log it

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK

Best thing is to learn how to sharpen the chain and keep it sharp and keep the bar in good nick too as a blunt chainsaw is a right royal pain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUcCwzDgbw

I turn my bar every two tank fulls of petrol and sharpen at every fill, you cant beat having a vice to get a really good edge .

For the actual cutting up think of investing in a saw horse or make one your self.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK

Best thing is to learn how to sharpen the chain and keep it sharp and keep the bar in good nick too as a blunt chainsaw is a right royal pain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUcCwzDgbw

I turn my bar every two tank fulls of petrol and sharpen at every fill, you cant beat having a vice to get a really good edge .

For the actual cutting up think of investing in a saw horse or make one your self.

screwfix have one for 20 squid. im right in thinking its uses oil at same rate as petrol

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've a Stihl and it runs on two stroke at 50:1 and then I get the chain oil from a local agricultural supplier rather than B&Q or equivalent.

Always top up chain oil when refueling and it should still have some left by the time petrol mix runs out.

Did you buy a new saw or is it second hand? If second hand would be worth getting it serviced and the guy should be willing to go through sharpening and fueling etc .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Safety has been covered, so my tip is keep checking the oil. It is amazing how quickly they drink oil.

A second tip, don't do too much first time. Your arms may think they are okay but you will pay a price the next day. Heavy beasties being held at odd heights and angles.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
i am pretty safety concious and will be super safe. my mrs has a n open fire so wee burn whatever we get, plan is also to look for drift wood at weekends etc. hopefully getting a wood burner when we do extension

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
No Advice, except get one of these!

[video=youtube;T5WO9nulOXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5WO9nulOXc[/video]

S

Snelly

Buy a Stihl - they are the best. Husquavarna a close second.

Get Stihl safety kit. Defenders, visor, ballistic trousers, decent gloves and steel toed boots. And yes, do a training course - invaluable.

They are great bits of kit but it is easy to make a mistake and if you do, they are often very costly. Even a little tickle can cause horrendous damage.

In terms of sharpening, I never bother as it is a tricky process, isn't easy to get great results and why bother when a new chain is only £12-15?

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
If using near the ground, DO NOT let it touch any soil or sand, even for a fraction of a second, as it will immediately need the chain resharpening!
NEVER take a chainsaw for granted.
Keep plenty of oil available.

Slime.