Pet Insurance

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We got a pup last week, a wee rascal!

He came with a month's insurance so I am looking at different providers.

Almost settled on the company Waggel for a lifetime policy.

Anyone use them or have any recommendations or others to avoid?

ThanksScreenshot_20210729-081811_Gallery.jpg

Miller

Visit site
We just have a savings account for any eventualities that might happen to the dogs, that way the money doesn't just disappear into a pit if it's never needed.

I know it's a bit of a gamble, but over the years we've had dogs, we've never needed to spend a huge amount of money on vets bills. I've always heard stories of how vet insurance doesn't cover everything, may not cover pre-existing conditions, might ramp up premiums, etc.

Really lovely pup by the way!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
We just have a savings account for any eventualities that might happen to the dogs, that way the money doesn't just disappear into a pit if it's never needed.

I know it's a bit of a gamble, but over the years we've had dogs, we've never needed to spend a huge amount of money on vets bills.

Really lovely pup by the way!
This is what the Mrs does for her horses.
Our dog is insured & it’s a good job,over £3k in past 2yr.
Our previous dog never racked up any major bills & wasn’t insured.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We've just changed over to Tesco, came out as best policy at best price.

Moneysupermarket has a comparison tool if you want to get price from a number of providers.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are with Tesco. We decided to cover our (cockerpoo) for the first few years, just to rule out any early issues, also pup's are prone to injuring themselves. once next renewal comes, we will just stick the premium equiv away and keep fingers crossed.

PS. mate of mine recently got a new pup, it jumped off the sofa and broke its leg, it needed pinning and all sorts of stuff I think, but it cost him 6 and a half grand. no insurance....

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Also read the small print,some won’t pay out for reoccurring problems.
And the price also jumps up after claims.
We actually took out the policy when we knew he needed a operation on his back legs.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
We went with Bought by Many costs about £17 a month. Think it covers ops and things up to 6 grand per condition. You also get access to a vet via video call included in the price for this, it's saved us the cost of a few trips to the vets already this year.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Having worked for a big insurer, my advice is always don't be guided just by price - that way lies disappointment. And then be grateful if you never have to use the policy - that is a win in itself.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had dogs all my life and never had insurance for them. We usually get their first injections when puppies, but have never bothered with annual boosters either. If we lived in town where they were regularly coming in contact with other dogs it mighty be different.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've had dogs all my life and never had insurance for them. We usually get their first injections when puppies, but have never bothered with annual boosters either. If we lived in town where they were regularly coming in contact with other dogs it mighty be different.

Really? Is that not taking a risk?
I know for my cat, she needs to be fully vaccinated to be accepted at a cattery for our holidays. Would imagine a dog is the same.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have never put any of our animals into kennels/catteries. As far as insurance, it is a calculated risk. How much do you pay for premiums against how much you reckon vet's bills are going to be. In over 30 years of having mainly dogs, but also some cats, I could count on the fingers of one hand how often we've been to the vet. Now horses, that's a different story!!!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We faithfully insured our 1st pup [ Gizzy] as soon as we got him at 8 weeks/
The vet check him out and gave him the all clear and gave all the vaccinations etc.
A few weeks later at his next check up, sadly one of his testicles hadn't descended. An operation was required asap.
The insurance refused to pay the costs, claiming it was hereditary.
We haven't had pet insurance since.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We faithfully insured our 1st pup [ Gizzy] as soon as we got him at 8 weeks/
The vet check him out and gave him the all clear and gave all the vaccinations etc.
A few weeks later at his next check up, sadly one of his testicles hadn't descended. An operation was required asap.
The insurance refused to pay the costs, claiming it was hereditary.
We haven't had pet insurance since.

Were you not get him neutered anyway?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Were you not get him neutered anyway?
No way, his pedigree was so good, if he had been able to speak he wouldn't have spoken to the likes of us :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .
And his pups would've been worth a small fortune :mad:.
And think of all the fun he could have had as a highly paid stud :cry:. What a job he missed out on :sick:, I should sue :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not as big a win as it is for the insurer who has had your money!!! :p:p:p

I disagree, this is essentially a risk equation. Both parties take a risk. If the pet remains healthy, the owner's risk pays off and they have avoided a lot of pain and heartache. The insurer has a single client whose premium they have taken without paying out. If the pet is unfortunately sick, then the owner has heartache but peace of mind that the cost is covered, and the insurer has yet another underwriting risk that hasn't paid off that has to be covered. Anybody who thinks that insurers are making a fortune out of underwriting risks is sadly misinformed. Don't believe everything you read in the press.