Pet insurance help needed urgently!!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
My pet insurance is due for renewal and find it's going up by around 40%!
My mixed breed dog is 4½ years old, been insured for four years and I've never made a claim!
I'm not having a 40% increase and the insurers are not willing to budge in the slightest.
Any recommendations please.
Renewal date is November 15th.

Thanks guys & gals,

Slime.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we are currently with Pet Friends. been with all the others, every year it goes up by 30-40% .

Baldricks went up last year by over 50% as he's now over 10... and that was before he was diagnosed with Cancer.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try Agria Pet Insurance, we have a 4 year old cockapoo, she is classed as a mixed breed and I think the premium is good value, they are very easy to deal with and settled the one claim we have made without issue.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another shout for tesco. Been excellent the times we have had to make a claim.

One year they sent me a small handicam worth more than we paid for the years premium as a free gift.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We use John Lewis pet insurance for our 2 border collies, which although are pure bred collies are classed as mixed breed due to them not "pedigree".

My advice would be to have lifetime insurance as we had a problem with a previous dog having a problem one year that carried over to following year and because the insurance was not lifetime cover the following year we could not claim for the treatment for the same problem as it was treated as a pre-existing condition.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
is he still going strong Patrick?

remarkably so, just as well we didn't opt for Chemo, that would have def killed in the time scale the vets stated.

We did find a big lump is his side the other day, but he's not in any pain and still enjoying life and half my dinner..

long may it continue

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
remarkably so, just as well we didn't opt for Chemo, that would have def killed in the time scale the vets stated.

We did find a big lump is his side the other day, but he's not in any pain and still enjoying life and half my dinner..

long may it continue

great news mate, enjoy every day you get with him

CAD

Medal Winner
Visit site
Word of warning, unless you have a continuous 'for life' policy, most insurers won't cover existing illnesses and injuries. That also relates to 'general areas' of a dogs body. For example, my brother's dog as a puppy had ligament damage in its leg. The dog recovered and the policy was switched and the new company who will not/would not cover any injury and/or illness related to that particular leg.

We have been with Petplan since our dog was 4. She has just turned 8 and we have claims in excess of £3000 over the 4 years (for the same issue), and the policy has gone up by about 3 pound a month. They claim they do not put the price up based on claims made (which appears to be the case so far).

Petplan were the most expensive to begin with, but so glad we went with them as now if we had been with one of the other insurers it is likely they would have increased the premiums significantly.

Last edited: