Personal worst

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
17 points yesterday (10 on the front 9 and 7 on the back 9). I looked like a total...

I bet very few people have beaten that. Maybe 12 is not my real hc...

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
but what were the conditions like iku, my partner shot 9 points on the front yesturday, he did recover some face with 20 on the back 9 though. I also struggled with 29. almost wish i hadnt played.

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
but what were the conditions like iku, my partner shot 9 points on the front yesturday, he did recover some face with 20 on the back 9 though. I also struggled with 29. almost wish i hadnt played.

The conditions were bad with most of the greens being still frozen at 12 but I really can't blame it on that as one guy in my game shot a 39 and he's a high handicapper. I definitely wished I hadn't played.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
1st round of our captains last year mate , coming off 2 handicap cuts for 41 & 42 pts , weather perfect , course a bit firm but BUFOON here shoots 92 gross .. happens to us all mate , as for high handicapper shooting more than you on frosty greens , wouldnt let it bother ya , roll up again next week & start again ..

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
1st round of our captains last year mate , coming off 2 handicap cuts for 41 & 42 pts , weather perfect , course a bit firm but BUFOON here shoots 92 gross .. happens to us all mate , as for high handicapper shooting more than you on frosty greens , wouldnt let it bother ya , roll up again next week & start again ..

I was also coming from two consecutive cuts and it was the first time I was playing off 12 in a competition. Now I just need to calm down and relax I guess..

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was also coming from two consecutive cuts and it was the first time I was playing off 12 in a competition. Now I just need to calm down and relax I guess..

Just forget about it altogether mate it aint (grammer police will love that) real golf , just lottery golf playing on frozen greens ,

S

Snelly

I played at Copthorne about five years ago in a society day. I got drawn with two utter tossers in crap weather, all of which made for a rotten day. I could not wait to get off the course and played horrendous golf.

My handicap at the time was 3 and I walked off with 16 points. Ironically, I won a Wooden Spoon prize for being the biggest muppet on the day!

We all have bad days...it is part of the charm of golf.

Cheers,

Snelly.

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Iku - sounds very similar to our round on Saturday.

Frozen greens made for low scoring in the whole group bar 1 player. I shot 7 on the front and somehow managed to get back with 20.

anything hitting the green would skid out the back, anything short stopped dead by the frozen grass.

I wanted to walk off after 9 , but decided to use it as a practice round where I just hit the shots as if the greens were not frozen. Tried not to worry too much about where it ended up but more if I executed as I had intended.

wouldn't get too down about it

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
got to the 16th green on the tombstone/flag day, that was altnernating between the ladies and senior tees

only been a member for 3 months, think i'll beat that by the end of the year

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys you are a cheering me up! Yesterday I was so annoyed with myself that I couldn't even watch the golf on telly in the evening.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The conditions were bad with most of the greens being still frozen at 12 but I really can't blame it on that as one guy in my game shot a 39 and he's a high handicapper. I definitely wished I hadn't played.

IKU, i feel your pain, like you im off the back of a few cuts and playing pretty good at the moment, yesturday we had 8 of us play a newly refurbished course near me, the group was made up of a nice mix of all levels, me being the lowest of 12, through to a 28'er, and a couple of 25's.

winner - 33 points - 22hc
2nd 32 points - 25hc
3rd 30 points - 25 hc
4th 30 points - 28 hc
5th 29 points - 12 hc
6th 29 poiints - 14 hc
7th 28 points - 16 hc
8th 26 points 12- 14hc

what we noticed was it seemed easier for the higher handicappers to score, they generally dont hit as long so any gain in distance to them was a big bonus., and more importantly around the greens rely on a sharper short game. where the lower hc players would tend to try and float a ball in , the high cappers where playing their usual bump and runs and getting bloody close on frosty chips from missed greens, the most consistent in our group being a guy with a chipper off 25. he was putting with hes chipper from 30 ft off the green and getting within 6 ft every time. Also, being shorter off the tee was doing them some favours, i was bombing decent drives all day, yet landing on frozen fairways could see big bounces in all sorts of directions, including running into hazards that i cant usually reach even in summer months when you get better ball flight.

Take from it the positives, look at where your could improve, mine in this case is bump and runs... and move on. see the ask the experts section on tips for playing in the frost.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played in a Company Day round The Derby at The Belfry 15 years ago and one of my group actually came in with no points at all. Not 1, not a single point.
He was a very occasional golfer but even so............

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last year in summer at our works comp I scored 14 points off a 22h/c.

4 points the front 9 and that included 3 points on one hole!

My excuse was it was lashing down and I had only had a couple of hours sleep after a night shift.