People who don't turn up

tobybarker

Visit site
What sanctions, if any, does your club take if people sign up for a comp but then don't turn up? Our board comps are heavily subscribed, and it can be annoying if the only time zone you can play in is already full, only to find 2 or 3 guys just never appear.

We have regular offenders, too.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve seen this happen a number of times and I am not aware that there is any come back at our place.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This was a major problem going into the year I was Captain at Pyrford, so we introduced a three strikes policy. First time noted, second time warned, third time out for two months. One person went to three strikes and the message got round.
The year after it was dropped and the problem is apparently back again.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Our Terms of Competition state for a No Show the competition entry fee is taken and paid to the Captains Charity and the three occurrences in a rolling 12 months 30 day competition ban

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Unless it's one of the big competitions where the course is closed to anyone else there is no way of knowing who is playing a comp or who is playing a social.
Obviously, if you're in the comp you sign in but if you're not then the powers that be have no way of knowing if you show up or not so can't impose any kind of sanction.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Unless it's one of the big competitions where the course is closed to anyone else there is no way of knowing who is playing a comp or who is playing a social.
Obviously, if you're in the comp you sign in but if you're not then the powers that be have no way of knowing if you show up or not so can't impose any kind of sanction.

Our comps are drawn teem times and you have to enter online so there is a list of those playing and what time they are going out. You have to sign into PSI but also you get checked off in the pro shop when you pick up your card so very easy to see no shows

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It’s a phased response at ours - starts with a warning, then the retention of entry fees, then a ban from competitions.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
This is a real bug bear of mine, people struggling to get a tee time, then come Saturday with a dodgy weather forecast and there is a lot of two balls on the course, I do believe the no shows do get charged the entry fee if they pull out after a certain time (I don't know when it is).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Dunno what our club does, fortunately don’t think its been an issue of any scale

Life happens though so ideally a player will notify in advance (even if its on the day) of their non-attendance/apology and it’ll be a once in a blue moon occurrence for any individual
If the reason is believed/acceptable then its not really an issue I guess. If the reason for not showing up isn’t believed or too many instances from same person then there’s a bigger problem than not rocking up for a comp

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have to check in on the day to say we are there in all forms of play.

Players get a letter from the club if they fail to check in asking them to explain the reason. I understand regular no shows will have their booking privileges withdrawn which means they can only turn up on the day and book via the office or pro-shop.

In comps you can only withdraw from a Saturday comp if you ask the office by close of business on the Thursday before it and any no shows entry fees are kept for the pot.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Surely the H'cap sec can check it on the admin system?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Surely the H'cap sec can check it on the admin system?
Our comps are, mostly, rollup comps
You can play anytime during the day.
Certain times have to be booked but you can still book a time and not play in the comp....
So you don't sign in, you don't need to go to the Pro shop..the only way it would be noticed is that nobody would be on the tee at the appointed time and the next group wouldn't care...
Not a good system but there you go.....

Visit site
I don’t know the official procedure, but I’d imagine a couple of strikes and you’d get a stern word from the pro or someone senior. You might also get a name for yourself and find others unwilling to play with you. Nobody wants to be left as a 2 ball in a medal… (I played 36 holes medal as a 2 ball at the back of the pack last year - never ever again)

Annoyingly, my pairs partner is a bit unreliable and pulled out last minute for 2 out of 6 winter events. I got a bollocking from the pro, as our team took a “winter league” slot and he had plenty of reserves who may have bothered to turn up.
I told him to speak to my partner, not me, if he has a problem with it as I’m as let down as anyone else is about it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two strikes at ours.
Stern warning if you just don’t turn up.
Second time 30 days comp ban. You can still play social golf.
Comp fees at ours are retained if you cancel after 9pm the night before no excuses.
Works well.
We have a reserve list most comps.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a reserve list most comps.

Same at my club so you aren't just annoying the PP's you were down to play with sticking them as a 2 ball in a field of 3 balls but there are others that could have got a game. Now I understand life gets in the way and people/children/family members get ill and we've had people test positive the day of a comp. As long as you make the effort to contact the pro shop as early as possible so they can contact reserves then not a problem