Penfold Classic Golfing Irons?

rookiesteve

Hacker
Visit site
4-B23B9918-1414241-480.jpg

Have these penfold classic irons sitting around and I was wondering if there worth selling?

I've searched myself online for quite a while but can't seem to find any Penfold iron's that are newish, everything they sell seems to either be quite old or just golf balls/clothing.

Anyone shead some light on these irons?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Penfold had a very good reputation as a ball maker in the up to the 60's (Goldfinger used one in the match against James Bond I think) and early 70's. I won a box of Penfold Ace balls for winning my first comp. Used by a lot of good payers back then. I still have them! Unlike their dreaded Commando, a 1-piece ball, indestructable and a mainstay of junior golfers on limited budgets.:)

I remember seeing Penfold clubs in the pro shop at that time but they were never a big brand as a club maker. I think they basically made cast cavities when that kind of club started becoming cheaper and more popular.

They pretty much disappeared in the 80's when the Amercan brands became much more popular and a lot of old British brands (Forgan, John Letters, Ben Sayers, Dunlop, Slazenger) fell by the way side. I think Penfold balls have recently made a come back but one of those things where I think the brand name has just been bought by another company.

I doubt if they are worth much other than as a budget starter set. Check out completed listings on e-bay. One set of Penfold irons sold for £6 another for £12. Some didn't sell at all.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As a young assistant pro I used to sell Penfold balls.
The company was based in Birmingham and it's range of balls included a mid priced Bromford and a cheap GBD. Initials of the company, Golf Ball Developments.
When customers used to ask me why the ball was called GBD. I put my straight face on and said it was because it
G oes B etter D ownhill.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Welcome back, where have you been these past years?

I'd like to add that I bought a very nice set of Penfold International clubs some weeks back; 1, 3 & 4 woods and 3 to SW in the irons.

1565387276674.png

Inkydel

Visit site
And if you ever come across a set of "Tom Haliburton" or "Wentworth Model" then I'm your man if you're selling.
Hi - May I ask about your interest in the A E Penfold 'Wentworth' Model set of blades?
I ask as past 30yrs used same Penfold Wentworths my grandad left me. Have preferred these over all new brands so any information on these clubs you would be able to share I welcome. Not thought of selling but always wondered about history, value and age.
With thanks

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Hi @Inkydel
I collect and play old clubs, mostly UK made models.
Although Penfold made huge numbers of balls they didn't make that many clubs.
They seem to have produced clubs from around 1960 through to the early 1980s, being most axctive when Gary Player was signed up and they produced Gary Player models.

I like the design of the Haliburton and Wentworth models, similar to the below which is probably the earliest Penfold club I've seen.

As for value, I'm sorry to disappoint you but very few people are interested in the history of UK golf :cry: and even very good condition sets rarely sell for more than £40.

1627539717305.png

Inkydel

Visit site
Hi @Inkydel
I collect and play old clubs, mostly UK made models.
Although Penfold made huge numbers of balls they didn't make that many clubs.
They seem to have produced clubs from around 1960 through to the early 1980s, being most axctive when Gary Player was signed up and they produced Gary Player models.

I like the design of the Haliburton and Wentworth models, similar to the below which is probably the earliest Penfold club I've seen.

As for value, I'm sorry to disappoint you but very few people are interested in the history of UK golf :cry: and even very good condition sets rarely sell for more than £40.

View attachment 37794

Thanks for making time to reply, if you get chance I would recommend playing with the Penfold Wentworth model - I felt they became an addition to me, very user friendly. Blades - so a good swing, club will hit the ball crisp reaching similar distance as modern set of ping irons. horizontal lines across club face aid when seeking spin or a more delicate touch/control.
After 50yrs+ clubs still in excellent order.
Pride of workmanship! Sad that manufacturers don't make things like they used too eh!