Pay per shot

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It might be an incentive to improve if we were charged per shot.

Would it sort handicap bandits out if golfers were charged on a different basis and were charged per shot?
or
maybe they could charge for time like a swimming pools as an incentive to play faster.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I paid £160 to play royal county down, I viewed it as £10 per hole. Let me tell you, a 130 yard par three is not worth a tenner.

ivan

Medal Winner
Visit site
understand that, a couple of years ago, a club in southern spain had a system of charging the same number of €'s as your handicap!! now that would be an incentive to improve.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ran out of balls :rofl:

Back to the OP. What a daft idea, how you going to encourage n00bs into the game?

It wasn't a serious suggestion though you could make it work with a maximum charge, or a minimum fee plus X amount per shot if you really wanted too. 10p a shot isn't likely to come out that expensive and that may work at courses where beginners are likely to start. It might be prove tricky teh other way with I shot 18 today,o.k i'll see you in the bar.

Some countries have ability tests before you're allowed on the course. Often beginners have to have a series of lessons and pass the tests (such as no more than 27 putts on 9 holes, 3 out of 5 drives over 200 yards and on the fairway - hopefully a wide fairway for me). They also have people take ettiquette lessons (good money for those doing the rules and etiquette I know someone who did this as an extra). It's not the worst way of starting out and tends to lead to a different attitude towards golf and improvement.

I wouldn't suggest the above for here or the pay per shot as something we should do.

I was more making a point that if you are using something more (number of shots) someone might want to argue you should pay more and kind of linked to the handicap bandits and slow play arguments that are likely to continue for time and memorial (if that's the right experession).

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I prefer it the way it is.

The more shots I take, the cheaper each shot becomes. I like getting value for money. ;)

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
It might be an incentive to improve if we were charged per shot.

Would it sort handicap bandits out if golfers were charged on a different basis and were charged per shot?
or
maybe they could charge for time like a swimming pools as an incentive to play faster.

Sorry but what rubbish. Golf is in the doldrums. But its a great way to discourage people from taking the game up.

mouth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It wasn't a serious suggestion though you could make it work with a maximum charge, or a minimum fee plus X amount per shot if you really wanted too. 10p a shot isn't likely to come out that expensive and that may work at courses where beginners are likely to start. It might be prove tricky teh other way with I shot 18 today,o.k i'll see you in the bar.

Some countries have ability tests before you're allowed on the course. Often beginners have to have a series of lessons and pass the tests (such as no more than 27 putts on 9 holes, 3 out of 5 drives over 200 yards and on the fairway - hopefully a wide fairway for me). They also have people take ettiquette lessons (good money for those doing the rules and etiquette I know someone who did this as an extra). It's not the worst way of starting out and tends to lead to a different attitude towards golf and improvement.

I wouldn't suggest the above for here or the pay per shot as something we should do.

I was more making a point that if you are using something more (number of shots) someone might want to argue you should pay more and kind of linked to the handicap bandits and slow play arguments that are likely to continue for time and memorial (if that's the right experession).

many clubs already make you have a round with the committee/pro/captain etc as part of the application process to see that you understand etiquette. what the OP is suggesting is utter BS. would make a mockery of the membership fees. £500 a year plus 10p per shot you make. utter codswallop. it'd put me off straight away knowing that i was having a bad round and it'd cost a fortune. besides to make it fair there would need to be a scorer on each hole, otherwise we'd ll just card a 72. what about a social round where there is no scoring? is the monthly medal included in this? horse crap.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd agree with you about paying per shot and it was my opening post.

However, if I were to play devil's advocate I'd mention how golfers are happy to pay by the shot (well certain number of shots) at driving ranges where 20 balls may cost £1.50, 40 £3 and 60 £4.50.

Where we might disagree is that we do enough in this country to educate players on etiquette and rules matters.

I like the system of having some kind of rules and etiquette knowledge before playing. At a club I used to be a member at you had to take attend a local rules evening before you could play in any comps and that gave the chance for any queries on general rules. having said that they tend to go out in the same groups of fours who some argue each play to their own interpreation of the rules (Nicest point of relief and so on). One guy at a different club never counted airshots as he said he hadn't hit it and the rest of the group played it that way.

I do think more could be done on that area and it shouldn't have to be boring, you get a group together go out and create rules situations and likely scenarios in golf in general and also specific to your course see what you would do (play it) and then go through options.