Paul 'I will drag this putt out' McGinlay

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am I the only one who watched Paul McGinlay drag out his 2 footer on the 18nd hole thus keeping Sergio sweating on the 18th fairway in the last round of The Open?

He looked at it 4 times, picked up a peice of non existing fluff and then slowly rolled it in.

I don't agree with Sergio's poke at the greenkeeping staff keeping him waiting whilst raking the bunker, but I think there was definately a spot of Irish favouritism/gamesmanship going on there.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is the biggest load of crap written about the events yesterday. McGinley is not that type of player-remember his ultimate sacrifcie in teh Rydr Cup giving JJ Henry a half when Henry had a putt of 30 ft to halve-

By this definition Romero "ANTICS" on the the 12th when he put his second into the trees which caused a delay on the fairway on the tee-Harrington had to wait on the 12th before playing his tee shot. He did not allow this to affect his game-He accepted this as part and parcel of the Open.
Sergio played well but unfortunately he fell short. Please give credit to the winner who made up 6 shots on Sergio.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Am I the only one who watched Paul McGinlay drag out his 2 footer on the 18nd hole thus keeping Sergio sweating on the 18th fairway in the last round of The Open?

He looked at it 4 times, picked up a peice of non existing fluff and then slowly rolled it in.

I don't agree with Sergio's poke at the greenkeeping staff keeping him waiting whilst raking the bunker, but I think there was definately a spot of Irish favouritism/gamesmanship going on there.

It's disappointing that a golfer should try to detract from Harrington's great day. I like him and I'm delighted for him. He handled everything magnificently. Look how he played the play-off!
Garcia, on the other hand, is complaining that when other golfers hit the flagstick the ball ends up next to the hole but, of course, his ends up 20 feet away!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
madandra-you suggested that McGinley deliberately took his time to aid Harringtons quest-i just felt this was a slur on a very sporting golfer.
I also just pointed out that Romero's problems caused a hold up on the course but Harrington just accepted this as part and parcel of the game and bided his time on the tee.

B

birdieman

Madandra,
I think you have a point, I remember clearly at the time thinking why is McGinlay taking so long over a 2 footer.
However Garcia left himself far too long a 2nd shot by playing iron off the tee and also trying to fade a 3 iron for his second from 250 yds was silly -just hit it straight at the middle of the green and 2 putt when under that kind of pressure. Garcia blew it and his whinges at the press conference were unprofessional.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am over the moon PH won and I agree that Sergio's sangria bottle smashed in a million pieces ... It was the best open EVEr ... I just wondered if I was being hyper anal when I say McGinlays putt. Great responses guys, it is clear we all share the same passion that is golf, thank you