Patrick Reed benefits from controversial drop in Farmers Insurance Open

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Anyone seen it, I would share the link on BBC if I could find it.
He says it was “ plugged” footage shos the ball bounced. Apparently he moved it before a ref saw it.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bad form. If there was any doubt the ref should have been called before moving it. Surely the minute he lifted it and dropped it was wall in play with a shot penalty. There was no doubt additional penalties for not following correct procedure also.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
He didn't lift and drop, he did the right thing. The issue is whether he the second bounce caused a plug mark.

Anyway, silly having 2 discussions on the same thing.

I've just watched and cant see anything wrong. The fact that he lifted it just means that, if he could not take a drop, he would have had a penalty for that action which he wasnt trying to avoid by calling the referee over imo.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just watched and cant see anything wrong. The fact that he lifted it just means that, if he could not take a drop, he would have had a penalty for that action which he wasnt trying to avoid by calling the referee over imo.

I think everything was fine too, Rory as well.

I just don’t think a lot of people believed a ball could plug after bouncing before this all happened.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He was entitled to lift and check whether embedded I believe, if it wasn’t he would have been able to replace without penalty.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rory done the same thing. In fact rory was worse as Partick called a ref over to check the indentation. Rory just self assessed it and cracked on. Yet not a word said

Peewack

Visit site
I agree that he shouldn't have moved the ball before the referee arrived however he was entitled to a la McILroy.
What gets my goat is that in the 10 minutes from Reed hitting the ball to the referee giving the decision could nobody have told Patrick or the referee (he had a walkie talkie) that the ball bounced other than create further doubts regarding
Patrick Reeds integrity. He didn't give himself the decision.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I agree that he shouldn't have moved the ball before the referee arrived however he was entitled to a la McILroy.
What gets my goat is that in the 10 minutes from Reed hitting the ball to the referee giving the decision could nobody have told Patrick or the referee (he had a walkie talkie) that the ball bounced other than create further doubts regarding

welcome to the forum Peewack me man.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

There is nothing in the rules that say that a referee has to be there when you mark and pick up your ball.

The referee said that he felt a lip on the ground caused by the ball impacting and said Reed was entitled to a drop.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
|Timely. As of today it turns out that McIlroy's ball didn't plug on the second bounce, it was stood on by a volunteer who owned up to the PGA Tour by email on Monday.

McIlroy himself said he couldn't sleep on Sunday night as something didn't seem right to him, and he couldn't help mulling it over (paraphrasing).