Patrick Read’s caddie

Philbyk1

Visit site
Yeah sorry mate, I wasn't trying to say you were name calling I was just making the general point.
I get what you're saying about a few rules experts saying "no penalty" but that shouldn't just mean shut up and stop discussing it. Surely others should be free to discuss it without the risk of getting sniped at. Maybe the thread should have been in The Lounge, now that would have been fun :LOL:
The Lounge? Where do I find that? Relax only joking?
My comments about watching it are usually in response to someone’s attempt at an explanation and for that you would have to see him do it as it is quite something. I did try it to see if I could make any sense. Ruined my trousers and needed my playing partner to help me get up again. The rules guys have clearly stated no infringement. QED and Merry Christmas

Philbyk1

Visit site
Took a flagstick out with me today.
Pissing down so only me out. It did go off after three holes was quite nice then.
Tried this to see what if any help it offered reading the greens.
Now it definitely shows there is a slope if you have the flag still in , you can clearly see the angle between both flags.
But with just a ball acting as the hole I could not see anything I could see without it.
It shows you the slope to a degree , but helping to read a putt not for me.
My main question would be “ it shows the slope behind the ball but most break is when the balls slowing down at the hole and it dosnt show that.”
If anything it makes the severest slope I could find look flatter as your eyes are drawn to the stick on the ground.
Dosnt answer the legality issue sorry.
But if it dosnt say you can’t normally you can.
I have finally won my bet to get one of you lying flat on your belly on a wet green in the middle of winter! ??
Superb effort cc.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have finally won my bet to get one of you lying flat on your belly on a wet green in the middle of winter! ??
Superb effort cc.
I actually learnt to read greens from a very good golfer when we played in the scratch team years ago.
He always said .”””if your not sure get a worms eye view.”
Must admit I havnt done it for a while.
Greens were dry as a bone today but the rest of the course not so.

Philbyk1

Visit site
I actually learnt to read greens from a very good golfer when we played in the scratch team years ago.
He always said .”””if your not sure get a worms eye view.”
Must admit I havnt done it for a while.
Greens were dry as a bone today but the rest of the course not so.
I would dress up as a worm if it made me hole more!! My tour caddie mate who now lives in Florida knows Mark Sweeney (Aimpoint) and will try and find out if he is using a new technique. He doesn’t know Kessler but said if he gets the chance this season he will ask.

Philbyk1

Visit site
I would dress up as a worm if it made me hole more!! My tour caddie mate who now lives in Florida knows Mark Sweeney (Aimpoint) and will try and find out if he is using a new technique. He doesn’t know Kessler but said if he gets the chance this season he will ask.
Club, I think I have just received the best theory on what Kessler is doing from scientist golf mate.

It might help you as you have used a similar technique. He clearly uses your get to worm eye to read the putt. The suggestion is that he is using the flag to make sure his eyes remain horizontal as apparently having your eyes horizontal is very important.

This was explained to me that if you start on a 20% slope say left to right and you lie down in the way he does your body head eyes etc will align to the slope. If head and eyes are set 20% as well it will gives the impression at least visually that it is a flat putt. So he might be using the flag to initial help determine the slope where he is lying down not for Aimpoint but to help him keep his eyes horizontal. Keeping the flag underneath which presumably helps him determine the initial while he is lying down would him set his head position so his eyes are horizontal and not follow the slope. In the exaggerated example he would have to tilt his head 20% to the slope of the flag underneath him to keep his eyes horizontal which will help him see the slopes etc that follow from ball to hole. Best I have heard so far anyway.
I'll buy you a skeleton bob for Christmas to help!! I know that would be illegal !!!!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Club, I think I have just received the best theory on what Kessler is doing from scientist golf mate.

It might help you as you have used a similar technique. He clearly uses your get to worm eye to read the putt. The suggestion is that he is using the flag to make sure his eyes remain horizontal as apparently having your eyes horizontal is very important.

This was explained to me that if you start on a 20% slope say left to right and you lie down in the way he does your body head eyes etc will align to the slope. If head and eyes are set 20% as well it will gives the impression at least visually that it is a flat putt. So he might be using the flag to initial help determine the slope where he is lying down not for Aimpoint but to help him keep his eyes horizontal. Keeping the flag underneath which presumably helps him determine the initial while he is lying down would him set his head position so his eyes are horizontal and not follow the slope. In the exaggerated example he would have to tilt his head 20% to the slope of the flag underneath him to keep his eyes horizontal which will help him see the slopes etc that follow from ball to hole. Best I have heard so far anyway.
I'll buy you a skeleton bob for Christmas to help!! I know that would be illegal !!!!
Aaaaahhhh it's all making sense now. Flagpoles have a secret gyroscope in them to make sure they are level when you place them on the green. Well every day is a school day! :)

Philbyk1

Visit site
Aaaaahhhh it's all making sense now. Flagpoles have a secret gyroscope in them to make sure they are level when you place them on the green. Well every day is a school day! :)
It’s your eyes that have to be level / horizontal not the flagstick. As many have said placing the flagstick in the way he does would only help you determine the slope where he is lying. If you know that you can then adjust your eyes to be horizontal. If you lie on a flat floor and look forward in the way he does(promise this is not to win a bet ?) and Just tilt your head slightly it is amazing at that level how it distorts the view of what you know is flat.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s your eyes that have to be level / horizontal not the flagstick. As many have said placing the flagstick in the way he does would only help you determine the slope where he is lying. If you know that you can then adjust your eyes to be horizontal. If you lie on a flat floor and look forward in the way he does(promise this is not to win a bet ?) and Just tilt your head slightly it is amazing at that level how it distorts the view of what you know is flat.
If he can feel the slope of the flagstick whilst lying down, surely he can feel the slope of the green? After all it is a bigger object.
I think it is time that you accept that this act is not (currently) against the rules so, as all kids will tell you- LET IT GO!!

Philbyk1

Visit site
If he can feel the slope of the flagstick whilst lying down, surely he can feel the slope of the green? After all it is a bigger object.
I think it is time that you accept that this act is not (currently) against the rules so, as all kids will tell you- LET IT GO!!
Rule part was sorted a long time ago. It might also help him keep his eyes perpendicular to the hole as well because the flag is set very precisely for that purpose as part of the routine. At that level it is sometimes difficult to see the hole so he can position his body and therefore head and eyes with the flag as a guide. Not definitive but better than he goes through all of that by chance or superstition. Just activate ignore if you are not interested.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It’s deffo easier to see a slope when your on the ground.
Not sure the flag helps , as you would need to see the slope initially to know to set your eyes.
But if you know it’s left to right ,kept your left shoulder on the flag and your right shoulder not touching it it would give you a different perspective of the slope.
If Bryson starts doing it , it will be big news.
Until then it’s unproven.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Someone had suggested, in this thread, that Reed's caddie "always grabs the flagstick first". This isn't true, as there is a "caddie etiquette" that provides the caddie of the player who is about to putt (or play) stays in contact with the flagstick. The flagstick is then passed to the caddie of the next player who is to play.