Partner behind ball when putting ....

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, so the scenario of your doubles partner watching the line of your putt is a no-no and I have no problem with this at all .... is the rule still valid if your partner has already picked up his ball and is out of the hole?

In my mind, there is little point to the rule if your partner has picked up their ball and is no longer in the hole?

This discussion happened today and whilst nothing was made of it (as he moved away before the putt was made) I just wondered if the opponents could have claimed a penalty if he hadn't moved away.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ok, so the scenario of your doubles partner watching the line of your putt is a no-no and I have no problem with this at all .... is the rule still valid if your partner has already picked up his ball and is out of the hole?

In my mind, there is little point to the rule if your partner has picked up their ball and is no longer in the hole?

This discussion happened today and whilst nothing was made of it (as he moved away before the putt was made) I just wondered if the opponents could have claimed a penalty if he hadn't moved away.

I'm guessing there is no,advantage to be gained so won't be a penalty ? But that's just a guess

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Why is it that caddies who line up players move away before the shot is hit, and on that basis are you not leaving yourself open to potential penalty?

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The rule makes no exception if the player thinks there is no advantage or if the partner is out of the hole. It is clear. The players partner or caddie may not stand on an extension of the line of putt during a stroke unless that is inadvertent.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

your clue is in the application of the penalty - it applies to the person putting not the person watching! it's not about what he may learn (he, or anyone else, may quickly step in to observe, and an opponent may stand there all the time!) as well as the relevant rule (14-2) which deals with assistance to the player in making their stroke.