Pairs greensomes question

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got one of these comps at weekend and just want to clarify something.

Player A takes shot and it lands in pond/out of bounds etc.

Who takes the next shot? Is the drop player B's shot and so player A takes it again? Or does the responsibility then pass to player B??

Hope this makes sense.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply at this hour! Both views made sense so wanted to get it straight before hand! Was going to ask the pro but it will be mayhem Saturday morning as it's shotgun start so 64 plus people turning up at the same time he may not have had time!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
you only count the actual hits, not the penalty drops, so if A hits it in the pond they drop then B hits the next shot

Thanks for the quick reply at this hour! Both views made sense so wanted to get it straight before hand! Was going to ask the pro but it will be mayhem Saturday morning as it's shotgun start so 64 plus people turning up at the same time he may not have had time!

just to be crystal (and I'm sure Fundy knows this already but just for anyone else mis-reading), you still count the penalty strokes on your score, just not for the purpose of determining who's turn it is.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to clarify for those who have never played Greensomes. The situation the OP describes only arises on shots subsequent to the tee shots. If one tee shot goes belly up, you still have the other tee shot to fall back on - unless you both stuff them into the pond/OOB.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's a wee quiz type question. In foursomes, in what situations would a player play the ball twice in succession?

a. in strokeplay
b. in matchplay

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In foursomes/greensomes when a pair has to take a penalty drop, can either player take the drop? Or MUST it be the player who will take the next shot. In my experience it's the latter - but actually the OP has me wondering.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In foursomes/greensomes when a pair has to take a penalty drop, can either player take the drop? Or MUST it be the player who will take the next shot. In my experience it's the latter - but actually the OP has me wondering.
The drop must be made by the player making the next stroke.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The drop must be made by the player making the next stroke.

Thought so but logically I couldn't see a reason why it couldn't be either player as they are a team and the order of play is not affected by the drop. There must be a reason why it isn't up to the pairing who takes the drop as it's the pairing that takes the penalty.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought so but logically I couldn't see a reason why it couldn't be either player as they are a team and the order of play is not affected by the drop. There must be a reason why it isn't up to the pairing who takes the drop as it's the pairing that takes the penalty.
[h=3]20-2. Dropping And Re-Dropping[/h][h=4]a. By Whom and How[/h]A ball to be dropped under the Rules must be dropped by the player himself.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
[h=3]20-2. Dropping And Re-Dropping[/h][h=4]a. By Whom and How[/h]A ball to be dropped under the Rules must be dropped by the player himself.

Yes - but in a foursomes who is the player? If I play a shot into a water hazard then I have created the penalty - but I don't take the drop - my partner does. I can usually get to the bottom of a rule to understand why it is written as it is - but haven't yet managed to rationalise why my playing partner takes the penalty drop why I have incurred the penalty - and then why we can't choose who drops.

I can see that when taking relief or when taken a penalty drop and measuring club lengths using the club to be used for the subsequent shot could well differ for the two partners. So for instance my partner is to play the shot - but let's say taking to extremes he would play a wedge and I would play a three wood - clearly using me and club I'd use as the basis for the relief or the drop distance could make a significant difference to the outcome of the drop.

But beyond that I can't see why it makes any difference which player of a foursomes pairing takes the drop - clearly there is a reason or the rule would't be written that way - but I can't see it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The player is the person who is involved in the stroke to be played. The stroke just played is over and done with.
All the rules relate to what happens next once a ball is at rest.

In foursomes and greensome the rules require the player who hasn't made the last stroke to make the next stroke.
Any drop must relate to the ball that is to be used for that next stroke.

D

Deleted member 15344

In a foursomes match once ( Daily Mail )

On our 17th the other team put their drive OOB

At first the player went to tee off again - but I said that the other player must play because his shot is the next shot. Had a little argument ( he was an plank ) and I tried to search the rule but he ignored me and teed off again. They lost the hole anyway and then lost the 18th and first extra play off and then stormed off home afterwards. I forgot to check who was right -( was about 4 years ago now )

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In a foursomes match once ( Daily Mail )

On our 17th the other team put their drive OOB

At first the player went to tee off again - but I said that the other player must play because his shot is the next shot. Had a little argument ( he was an plank ) and I tried to search the rule but he ignored me and teed off again. They lost the hole anyway and then lost the 18th and first extra play off and then stormed off home afterwards. I forgot to check who was right -( was about 4 years ago now )

the rule is Rule 29, as already quoted here it's alternate shots ignoring penalty strokes.

he played (OOB) then his partner plays under rule 27-1 (stroke and distance) from the same place - because it was from a teeing ground his partner is permitted to tee it up (20-5a). Note in mixed foursomes the partner would play from the tee that the original partner played from (not their teeing ground).