Out to in swing or is it?

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Right then, have noticed a change to my shot shape and divots starting to come into my game and just wanted to check that it is an out to in swing and not something else before trying to fix it on the range.

My ball flight has got higher and now fades (old shape was straight with sometimes a very slight draw or fade) and I have noticed my divots are now straight on good shots, but 20-30deg to the left (r/handed) on the shots which fade more and lose a little distance.

Is this definately my swing going a little 'over the top' and going out to in or could it be something else? Was thinking I might be leaving the club face a little open on contact, something I have been guilty of before, but can't see how that would explain the divots.

Help very much appreciated.

ps. If it is an out to in, any drills to work on very gratefully recieved?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It is an out to in swing.
Try this drill using head covers to stop you swinging from that direction

[video=youtube;KsrovFJ3o9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I&list=LLFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& feature=mh_lolz[/video]

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for this and the drill. Will give it a go tomorrow on the range and see how it goes.
I have suffered with shoulders getting ahead of arms before and I think that pushes me outside the line, so thought it may be an out to in.
Hitting the ball ok, but hate the fact I'm losing yards and know that if I don't fix it the problem will just get worse.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for this and the drill. Will give it a go tomorrow on the range and see how it goes.
I have suffered with shoulders getting ahead of arms before and I think that pushes me outside the line, so thought it may be an out to in.
Hitting the ball ok, but hate the fact I'm losing yards and know that if I don't fix it the problem will just get worse.

Take of headcover, you may see them fly down the range

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went to the range on Friday and certainly gave the headcovers a few whacks! Certainly have reduced the out to in swing by some way, but still not swinging on a perfect line. Played on Saturday and hit 36pts, so even though the swing plane is not perfect, felt much more comfortable knowing what the issue was and being able to keep it in control. The divots have improved and the ones that were not correct weren't out by much.

Thanks for the advise and tip, much appreciated!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
swingalot, like you im struggling with a cast at the moment, which then creates and big over the top loop to get back on plane. ive recently started hitting the ball off the mats on the range, with the ball 2 inches from the rubber tee on the inside, focusing on coming from the inside without catching the club head on the rubber tee.

its allowed me to focus on an in to out swing plane keeping the swing compact, without the humuliation of having to walk down the range to collect said head covers :thup:

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
swingalot, like you im struggling with a cast at the moment, which then creates and big over the top loop to get back on plane. ive recently started hitting the ball off the mats on the range, with the ball 2 inches from the rubber tee on the inside, focusing on coming from the inside without catching the club head on the rubber tee.

its allowed me to focus on an in to out swing plane keeping the swing compact, without the humuliation of having to walk down the range to collect said head covers :thup:

I will try that. I did go from headcovers to golf balls, but after sending the first one into my ankle via the side wall netting, I decided to go back to a nice soft headcover.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not sure whats worse, i tried with balls but our bottom tier bays which are normally quiet have metal deviders, this is ok until you launch one sidewards into them and it makes a shotgun sound.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I will try that. I did go from headcovers to golf balls, but after sending the first one into my ankle via the side wall netting, I decided to go back to a nice soft headcover.

Thats why it's called the 'Headcover drill'....to stop balls bouncing around the bays and hitting the headcover down the range acts as a deterent to focus the mind more than just missing a rubber tee.
Obviously, dont do this when the range is busy

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
thats exactly why i dont do a head cover drill on our range, its two levels and if im downstair firing my head covers up the range it could be quite dangerous recovering them ..

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And as the downswing is steep, it will miss the back tee altogether...giving you the wrong impression.

I think maybe he means to place a tee either side of the ball and just a tad wider than the clubface so you swing between them.

D

Deleted Member 1156

A very quick and easy range drill to get you swinging in to out.......

(bear with me, I hope I explain this clearly).....

Set up to the ball as normal but place a second ball slightly forward of your ball and slightly closer to your left toe and also a third ball behind your ball and slightly further away from you. You will have 3 balls in a line effectively going from south west to north east as you look down on them. Hit the middle ball without making contact with either of the other two, you'll need to experiment on how far to space the balls apart. The front right ball should be about 1 clubhead closer to you and about 4 inches further forward and the other ball one club head further away and 4 inches behind the middle ball.

Hope I've explained it well enough, I'm sure you will pick it up easily enough at the range. It's a great drill to stop you coming over the top :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's a great drill to stop you coming over the top

You're absolutely right.... until you get it wrong and balls start bouncing around inside the range. (see reply no. 7)
Did you not see the video I posted in reply no.2 ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

You're absolutely right.... until you get it wrong and balls start bouncing around inside the range. (see reply no. 7)
Did you not see the video I posted in reply no.2 ?

Nope....but I have now ;)

Yep, same drill but using real ammunition is far more exciting than headcovers :rofl:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
And as the downswing is steep, it will miss the back tee altogether...giving you the wrong impression.

I think maybe he means to place a tee either side of the ball and just a tad wider than the clubface so you swing between them.

correct Socketrocket, 1 before and one after the ball, it's a very common drill with the tour guys, surprised Bob thinks that way

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The OP plays off 15 and is not a tour pro and practices on a driving range not grass.
He has tried my drill with the head covers and has seen a marked improvement in his play and is now more confident with his swing and how to improve it further. He shot 36 pts last time out and is now happy.

Wasn't that the point of the OP ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The OP plays off 15 and is not a tour pro and practices on a driving range not grass.
He has tried my drill with the head covers and has seen a marked improvement in his play and is now more confident with his swing and how to improve it further. He shot 36 pts last time out and is now happy.

Wasn't that the point of the OP ?

Bob,

You should start charging - a token amount - each time you recommend that drill. It doesn't seem to be appreciated otherwise! :confused:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob,

You should start charging - a token amount - each time you recommend that drill. It doesn't seem to be appreciated otherwise! :confused:

It's not my drill, it's just a variation of the 3 ball drill people have been using for years.
I have tried using different objects but have found head covers safer and as most people normally have their golf bags with them when they practice the hey always have them available.

Any swing path that is out to in is above plane and also has a steep angle of attack into the ball so something small placed behind could be missed, giving the player the impression that they have swung on a different path.
If people want to use long tees on grass then by all means but I have had more success using a large head cover as it tends to focus the players attention more.