Orka GS5 Driver

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
having been out for a few rounds with mine now I felt that it was time to post some comments.

First up has to be the looks. To me it is one of the best looking clubs out there. The sole design is modern without looking too over the top whilst the top and the general shape remains classic. It was nice to have the option of buying it in white or black depending on taste and I have found that I like the look of a white driver at address. If Orka sold through retail outlets I really feel that this club would have strong 'shelf appeal'.

When it comes to performance, it is hard to comment on just the driver. Whilst I have been 'custom fitted' before, this really has amassed to little more than trying the various off the shelf options and looking at the stats. With a proper Orka fitting I was let loose with all sorts of loft and shaft variations. As with others on the forum, I paid no attention to the actual spec of the club that I was hitting but just looked at the results. With each change made I could see the dispersion circle getting smaller and smaller and the distance hit getting longer and longer. When I hit the club that I eventually bought, there was no circle after 3 shots, the balls were that close. For those interested I ended up with the GS5 with the white head, 10 degree loft and the Orka UST Flatline shaft in stiff with a mid/low kick point. I also added a white Golf Pride Tour Wrap grip.

The performance to date has been as I expected, longer off the tee and hitting more fairways. As the club produces more roll as well as carry, I am eagerly awaiting the dry fairways in Summer to see that it can really do. The ball flight is lower and more penetrating than with my old driver and playing into the wind at the weekend did not cause me anywhere near the problems that I used to have with balooning shots.

Are there any downsides? All I would say is that the sound it makes is a little more tinny and a little louder than I would ideally like but it is not enought to cause me any problems or raise comments from my playing partners.

So, there it is. A fully custom fitted driver that is a bit different, performs well and does not cost the earth. What is not to like?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good write up
Now PLEASE change your sig....:lol:

A Local club fitter I know will be stocking Orka in New Year and look forward to seeing in the flesh

Signature now changed, had forgotten to update my putter as well on the signature page.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forgive me if I am being rude but what sort of money do these sell for? Just been looking at the website and the stuff looks good. also there is a fitter just down the road from me that is listed on the Orka site.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forgive me if I am being rude but what sort of money do these sell for? Just been looking at the website and the stuff looks good. also there is a fitter just down the road from me that is listed on the Orka site.

At a Very reasonable Pricepoint Im led to believe, obviously different fitters may vary, fitting charges etc......and shaft dependant obviously, and Im told the Irons are 'tasty' too

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
At a Very reasonable Pricepoint Im led to believe, obviously different fitters may vary, fitting charges etc......and shaft dependant obviously, and Im told the Irons are 'tasty' too

I am looking at getting some new irons for next season and after looking at these I could be very tempted, especially seeing as one of their listed clubmakers is 15 mins from me. I am tempted to go down and try some irons. Shame I can't find some prices, just worried that they might be expensive.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Adey, I googled the driver and couldnt find for sale but todaysgolfer had a review and the listed price was £169, not bad tbh so I would assume the irons are competitively priced aswell

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want any more details and are on twitter follow @alexorkagolf. He is one of the company directors and more than happy to answer questions etc (also worth it to see some of the custom made irons they make). I think that the reason that there are no prices on the website is that, as a rule, they do not sell direct to the public so the price is dependent on what the fitter charges.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you want any more details and are on twitter follow @alexorkagolf. He is one of the company directors and more than happy to answer questions etc (also worth it to see some of the custom made irons they make). I think that the reason that there are no prices on the website is that, as a rule, they do not sell direct to the public so the price is dependent on what the fitter charges.

He's also as mad as a box of Frogs..........!!

D

Deleted Member 1156

If anyone is considering these, you MUST shop around different fitters. I've got 3-PW Orka PS9 MB blades fitted with KBS shafts. Including the 2 hour fitting session (£40) I paid a total of £535 for mine so the irons themselves were £495.
A guy at my club has the cavity blade irons fitted with Nippon shafts, he paid over £800 from a different fitter in our area.

£535 for fully fitted forged blades is an absolute bargain IMHO.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
I've gone through the range with Alex along with the new driver thats planned for January and I was very impressed by it all - the forged heads are very nice and will be an excellent price point. They also do a 'soft forged' head - aka 'grain flow forged for you mizzie fans, which is a halfway house between true forged and cast.

Moogie is right about the fw's and hybrids - speed slot like an Adams rather than a RBZ. I'm about to work my pricing out properly for them but they will be very competitive - I have to say though that £800 would be about right depending on which model of the (overpriced!!) Nippon shafts he got as was mentioned about. Nippons are very expensive generally and there's no real need for them as there are better alternatives at much cheaper prices.

All in all - very nice gear, well made and competitively priced. British company as well.

D

Deleted Member 1156

MGL

How much are the Nippon shafts each? And the KBS tours that I have in my Orka's?