Opinions on my swing

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
The light was only good enough to video from this angle. Just looking for some critique, see if all this money I'm spending on lessons has gone to good use. [video=youtube;HWYXTRVn71c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWYXTRVn71c&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Lyden

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't have one yet this will be my first season of competitive golf. Took up the sport about 2 and a half years ago, been a club member for 2 but never needed a handicap because I couldn't play weekends.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had another look and there looks like a bit of a chicken wing as well occuring but not bad. How many lessons you had? What sort of score do you go round in then normally. I'm no expert by the way just saying what I see, there are a couple of Pro's on here who should be able to help you as well as cappers lower than me

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nice rhythm.

Not a lot of hip turn on the backswing, so a bit armsy which means timing is all important.

Downswing and impact looks pretty good though.

Hard to tell if there's progress as no 'before' vid!

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm fairly consistent at 10-12 over but I've not put any time into putting / chipping practice yet. No I appreciate it, I'm pretty sure I do chicken wing it which I thinks causing me a loss of power but I'm fairly accurate. However I drive it about 250-280 carry but can't hit a 4 iron over 175, which is a huge source of frustration for me.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
B

birdieman

I don't see a chicken wing, folks are seeing the left arm folded after the strike which isn't the same thing as a chicken wing which would be on your right arm on backswing and transition, Tigers old adage to sort that is 'shake hands with the target' which is a good analogy i.e. follow through fully, you're pulling the club up after impact too quickly imo.
Other than that pretty decent - swing looks a little flat perhaps and whilst I think your hip turn is ok, you don't clear the hips on the downswing, they're a bit stuck which can lead to shanking. I think you need to start the downswing with your hips, it looks like you're starting the downswing with your shoulders and throwing (casting) the club out a little which is a power loss move.:thup:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
He did say 250 to 280 though. 280 Could be with the wind behind him or downhill. There are lads in the college where I am can hit it 280 through the air so it is possible. Depends how accurate you are with it. I carry mine 230 but am pretty straight which enables me to knock it round. With regards to the chicken wing I did say a bit, it is not excessive but it is there if you see on the follow through his left elbow in particular is pointing outwards.

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
Pros average 300 where as 280 is my top end. I average around 265 with a swing speed of 109. Why does that seem out of the ordinary?

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends on the day really, its my most accurate club though but I have off days. Probably about 50% on average if I count 1st cut as fairway :) I find driver less technical I don't have to worry about shaft lean or compression, just tee it up and smack it. I play at times with the local pros 2 sons who are on the jamega tour, which probably gives me a distorted view of being short of the tee. I'd have to have played in a comp of any description to claim myself a club golfer :|

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Not bad. I'd suggest FEELING like your hands (grip of the club) are closer to your left pocket at impact whilst your head stays back and see how you get on with that.....creates a little forward shaft lean [compression] and secondary axis tilt of the spine away from the target [loft].

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you say 280 yards "carry" do you mean total of carry and roll 280 yards, or a carry of 280, plus say 20 odd yards of roll making your average drive total distance 300 yards? If that's accurate, that's rather impressive and if you're going around in 10-12 over it would suggest your short game is the problem area.

But then I pretty much know squat. :)

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not an expert here but your swing resembles something I've been working on for the last year. You have an early release which means you are casting out and scooping before impact and your left wrist is collapsing - leading also to the beginning of a chicken-wing.

jEPJTOT.jpg

What helped me was the fact that I wasn't transfering my weight properly on my backswing and subsequent downswing, I was getting trapped behind the ball at impact leading to the scoop - I think this is happening to you too as it looks from that capture that your arms and club have arrived at the ball first compared to Mr Woods on the right.

My practice routine involves getting most of my weight onto my back foot on the backswing, so that I get a full shoulder turn behind the ball, then I initiate the downswing by transferring my weight onto my front foot, my body then pulls my shoulders, arms and finally club through to impact.

Anyway - hope that is of some help as it certainly has helped me to strike the ball better.