Open fairways

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is anybody a member of the Open fairways scheme? I've recently come across it having found out I am entitled to half price membership, and was wondering if people are aware of any feedback on it- good or bad. It sounds similar to the 2-for-1 vouchers on the whole, just with the befit of it being reusable all year. From a quick look into it, it is good for half price golf at courses such as Turnberry, The Belfry, The Oxfordshire and other courses with a decent reputation, which means it could near enough pay for itself within one or two rounds if I make the effort to visit.

Apparently membership costs £89 usually, and I would qualify for a yearly tariff of £45.

Do people think this is a worthwhile investment, bearing in mind the discount can count for up to 8 golfers during each visit, and can be used by anyone- not just the 'cardholder'? I'm just not sure of how good the scheme is in reality, having never previously heard of it.

As always all comments and advice, are much appreciated.

http://www.openfairways.com/

Hogan_Fan

Medal Winner
Visit site
I guess it's great if you're able to travel all over the country a lot. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to me. Would be good for a pal of mine who has a Time Share appartment on the Gleneagles Estate. Although he gets free golf when he's there, any guests he has have to pay full price which is (for me) extremely expensive.
I'll pass the details on to him. :)

mikepops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I managed to get a membership for £25 from JJB last Christmas. I've only used it a couple of times, but it has easily paid for itself.

I used it when four of us went to Scotland in May. We got half price golf at Fortrose and Rosemarkie and Royal Dornoch - Struie Course, which saved us about £150 straight away.

The only real downside is that you can only use it once at each course, but I would definitely recommend it, even at £99.

The only reason I didn't use it much more this year is the miserable Summer we had. I live in Cardiff, and every time we planned an outing the weather put us off travelling further afield that we would normally.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replys folks, particularly mikepops- very useful.

To be honest I'm not in a great position to be able to travel large distances regularly at all, much like others have said. But I was thinking along the lines of one or two deliberate visits to some of the more prestigious courses during the summer, and the membership would more than pay for itself. I definitely am tempted.

Oh and mike, it said on the website you can visit each course twice, meaning they may well have changed it.