One thing….

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
This Is My Secret

By Henry Cotton

“I reveal to you the secret of the golf swing. It lies in the control of the tension of each finger when gripping. This is the final action taken by every great player to govern the strength and direction of the shot. It is even used to control the arc of the swing.
What I reveal is the very heart of the swing for all players from beginner to ace.
Golfers tell how they grip the club, how they swing, how they waggle it at address and so on. But all these points depend on the tension of the individual grip of each finger.
By varying the tension the whole timing can be altered and the clubface kept more open or more closed, That is why I have always stressed that golf is 85% hands and arms,
I have worked for a long time on this secret, trying it out on pupils and friends, My suggestion to lots of golfers that they adopt a double-handed grip was made with the object of altering the individual tension of the fingers. This changes the distribution of power available and in turn governs the ability to gain better control of speed and the angle of the clubface at impact.
Whatever the type of grip used the tension of the fingers is the secret. This can be varied with training, but naturally strength counts because it provides a bigger range of tension. That is why hand exercise with a squash ball, cork, short heavy club or spring grips gives more scope for experiment when practising.
On those days when I am trying to play well the first test I make on waking is to clasp my hands together just to see if my fingers seem thin and strong. If they feel good I know I can play well. If they are thick and weak I am worried.
I hinted at this secret in one of my books. I made a claim about hooking and slicing which contradicted the usual dictum. But not a single comment was made, not a rustle anywhere. So I thought then that there was no point in telling any more for a while.
Until each golfer’s case is examined it is impossible to say that the third finger of the right hand, for example, is doing too much or too little gripping. But this particular finger is often ignored when talking of the grip. The thumb and index fingers are important, but the other fingers are very important.
The placing of the left thumb on the shaft affects the grip of the third finger of the right hand. So does the thickness of the grip. The position of the little finger of the right hand in an overlapping grip is important. This can change the whole swing, not only for arc but for power and timing.
I hope this disclosure will start more golfers on the road to the top. And I hope it will stop many people wasting time looking for a faulty arc, or pivot, when it is the tension of each finger that they should study.”

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
If you could say one thing that changed your game for the better, a eureka moment almost, what would it be for you….

I haven’t got one hence asking the question and maybe it will help others ?

As a 15-20 handicapper I always tried to hit it straight i started to shoot in the high 70s low 80s when I gave up that unicorn hunt

sunshine

Visit site
Agreed, its one of the things that strikes me about playing the 'harder' courses.

At a guess at about 3-5 foot, I sink more putts than I miss at my home course(flattish easy green complexs). Goto a harder green complex course like Saunton East and I miss more than I sink and get up/down alot less.

The pros are brilliant at sinking those kind of putts.

It's the opposite for me. I find it so easy to putt on the greens of the modern resort courses that are used on tour. They are very true, even paced and the slopes are more subtle. Somewhere like the Grove.

Very different from a 100 year old UK course with the green on the side of a hill and a century of settling which has created small depressions and movement on different areas of the green.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Good thread... My first thought was...

Accept before the round starts that you're going to hit bad shots so when they come it will be easy to accept. When they happen, briefly work out why (technical or mental) then forget the shot and move on.

Bad holes are an opportunity to play good golf despite them. To do so makes you mentally strong and a better player.