One for Ethan.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ethan,

A mate of mine is looking at changing the shafts in his irons, to bring the ball flight down.

He's a 2 handicap (though could play a lot lower if he didn't work offshore for months at a time), with a clubhead speed of 110 with driver.

Currently has Mp69 with S300.

he tried dg x100 today and the flight was about the same as was the distance.

He's thinking of project X 6.5, but is not sure which version would have the lower flight.

I said I'd ask someone who know's these things.

Thanks

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends a bit on how he strikes the ball. PX 6.5 is a popular choice on Tour for strong hitters. It tends to give a mid launch but a flattish trajectory, whereas TT DG tends to give a lower launch, but players who generate a lot of spin sometimes get a trajectory which climbs too much then drops.

Another option, known for its lowish low spin flight is the KBS C-taper. This is used by Justin Rose and a few Tour players.

http://kbsgolfshafts.com/shafts/kbs-ctaper

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depends a bit on how he strikes the ball. PX 6.5 is a popular choice on Tour for strong hitters. It tends to give a mid launch but a flattish trajectory, whereas TT DG tends to give a lower launch, but players who generate a lot of spin sometimes get a trajectory which climbs too much then drops.

Another option, known for its lowish low spin flight is the KBS C-taper. This is used by Justin Rose and a few Tour players.

http://kbsgolfshafts.com/shafts/kbs-ctaper

Thanks Ethan.

I would say he's a very clean striker and would easily be off scratch or lower if he got to play more than once a month.

Generates a lot of spin as he really crunches down on the ball.

unfort e can't get anywhere to check trackman stats as will be away off shore for a month.

The Project X 6.5 is that just a standard, i've heard of flighted and rifle but know idea if that would make a diff??

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Ethan.

I would say he's a very clean striker and would easily be off scratch or lower if he got to play more than once a month.

Generates a lot of spin as he really crunches down on the ball.

unfort e can't get anywhere to check trackman stats as will be away off shore for a month.

The Project X 6.5 is that just a standard, i've heard of flighted and rifle but know idea if that would make a diff??

The KBS C-taper is definitely worth a look, but he really needs to be fitted, preferably by someone used to dealing with elite players and not your average American Golf branch.

Project X comes in several flavours. The standard is the one you see most on Tour, and 6.5 would be a good starting point for a fitting, although a good fitter can fit him to a lot of subflexes (i.e, if he needs 6.3 or 6.7) as well.

Flighted is a variant of PX which is intended to give a higher ball in long irons and lower ball with short irons. This is achieved by using differing flexes across the set adjusted so that the changes in kick point between one shaft to the next are more exaggerated. For various reasons, they are not very popular, and they feel a bit different to PX. I have these very shafts, but would not be a big fan.

There is a new Project X this season, PXi, which is basically a lightweight version of PX. This is not really aimed at elite players, although there has been some adoption on Tour.

One very radical other option is the Aerotech Composite shaft. This is a steel/graphite mixture, played by Snedecker and Kuchar. They seem to do OK with them. They are lighter than standard steel but quite robust and give a softer feeling strike.

http://www.aerotechgolfshafts.com/irons.php

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
''' if he didn't work offshore for months at a time

Oil industry?

Aberdeen?

I know of a fitter up there - who I'd be surprised if he didn't end up recommending C-Tapers or Aerotechs!

Plays off 2 himself. Would probably be less if he stuck to the same equipment!

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The KBS C-taper is definitely worth a look, but he really needs to be fitted, preferably by someone used to dealing with elite players and not your average American Golf branch.

Project X comes in several flavours. The standard is the one you see most on Tour, and 6.5 would be a good starting point for a fitting, although a good fitter can fit him to a lot of subflexes (i.e, if he needs 6.3 or 6.7) as well.

Flighted is a variant of PX which is intended to give a higher ball in long irons and lower ball with short irons. This is achieved by using differing flexes across the set adjusted so that the changes in kick point between one shaft to the next are more exaggerated. For various reasons, they are not very popular, and they feel a bit different to PX. I have these very shafts, but would not be a big fan.

There is a new Project X this season, PXi, which is basically a lightweight version of PX. This is not really aimed at elite players, although there has been some adoption on Tour.

One very radical other option is the Aerotech Composite shaft. This is a steel/graphite mixture, played by Snedecker and Kuchar. They seem to do OK with them. They are lighter than standard steel but quite robust and give a softer feeling strike.

http://www.aerotechgolfshafts.com/irons.php

Thats great Thanks Ethan, i'll send him the link on KBS C taper.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry to Hi-Jack but does he understand about 'Spin Loft'. If he has a high number he will struggle to get a lower ball flight and hitting down will not always improve things.