Offputting Offset?

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Recently, as much as I love my G20 Hybrid, the offset club is really starting to put me off.

Is this something you find as you become a better player and clubs with no offset become
more appealing to the eye?

Mattie

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I must admit to having a similar feeling just lately with my R7 irons.

Strange thing is I've found myself looking at the R9 irons and even the TM Superlaunch irons, both of which have off set heads and the superlaunch have cavaties the size of some of the craters on the moon!

My philosophy is I couldn't care less how they look so long as they perform.

I'm honest enough with myself to know I'm not good enough for particular irons, a la blades, and as i play the game for fun, id rather enjoy my time on the course attempting to play well.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If I look down on an offset iron my immediate thought is that the ball is going somewhere other than where i want it to.
I guess, as a player who can square the clubface without the help of a large amount of offset, SGI clubs look wrong and don't fill me with confidence.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure if it something you notice as you get better but I know this...if you look down on a club a feel anything other than confidence that the ball is gonna go where you want it, it ain't gonna go where you want it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My R11's have more offset than the TP's they replaced but as long as I make sure I align the clubface to where the ball needs to go and get myself lined up properly then I've no big mental issue with looking down at an offset. I thought the I15's I really liked had more offset than you'd expect for a better player club but as they flew so well it was easy to look past that. Interested to see whether the I20's have the same