Of all the stupid ways to mess up...

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was monthly stableford time at Blackmoor this morning. The weather was dry and calm and I've been in good form. So I plot my way around the course hitting the ball great and by the time I get to the 17th tee I've hit 10 fairways, 12 greens and I'm 3 over gross. I walk onto the tee, pick a spot between all the divots and hit a lovely 5 iron to the heart of the green. Two putts from there and a par on the last and I shoot a PB, what could possibly go wrong?...and then one of my FCs says...

"I'm sorry to tell you this Mike but you've just tee'd off from the wrong place".

I look down and find I am outside the tee markers :eek: :mad: Cue a 6,6 finish and I end up with a gross 77 and 39 points. Still enough to take me back down to single figures but what a freaking knob!!!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been there , done that, cost me the match play final at my old club as I called the stroke play penalty on myself and didn't realise the match play ruling was different.

I feel your pain

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Easy done if the marker behind you is a foot or two back from the other. Often they are thrown down with little care.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps changing to a muppet headcover will remind you not to do it again :D

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The other stupid way to mess up is to play a wrong ball, which I have managed to do twice in strokeplay competitions, one of which I could have won without the 2 shot penalty! :(

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I will not tell you what Steve called you in the Pro shop. Never heard him use such industrial language.:eek:;)

It's nothing compared to what I've been calling myself and I've already given him the quote for the newsletter..."You can teach me how to play golf but you can't teach me not to be an idiot!"

On the positive side, I now know I can do it, that's as comfortable as I have ever been when on a good score, I had complete trust in my swing and the drive/8i I hit on 16 were as good as any shots I'd hit all day, and there were a lot of very good ones. There was absolutely no doubt in my mind that I was going to par the last two holes. As they say, smelly stuff happens but no-one can take away how well I played today.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know it's wrong but a genuine mistake like this - couldn't it just be ignored? What was it a yard or so forward than the marker?

I know it's the rules but..

*Puts hard hat on*

*Stands well back in a bunker*

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know it's wrong but a genuine mistake like this - couldn't it just be ignored? What was it a yard or so forward than the marker?

*Puts hard hat on*

It was behind the markers but I was standing with what I thought was the left hand marker a couple of inches behind my feet. Never done it before, will never do it again but I broke the rules and that's the way it is.

D

Deleted member 17920

It was behind the markers but I was standing with what I thought was the left hand marker a couple of inches behind my feet. Never done it before, will never do it again but I broke the rules and that's the way it is.
Am I reading this wrong, was your ball in the teeing ground but your feet was out?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
At least you were on the right course. I turned up to the wrong club for one Open, and subsequently missed my tee time at the right one.

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk

*Puts hard hat on*

How do you decide which rule infringements you are going to ignore and which you're not? Most breaches of the rules are genuine mistakes and weren't meant by the golfer so we can turn a blind eye to all of them?

Its a harsh lesson but I bet that HawkeyeMS won't make the same mistake again in the forseeable future, or ever. Lesson learned.