Odyssey Putters Question

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have 2 putters at the moment. An Odyssey White Hot XG #7 (fang) and a Scotty California Sonoma.

From inside 10' I'm better with the #7. It's so easy to line up it's almost like cheating.
Outside of 20' I find it so hard to judge the pace because it comes off the face so softly.

My SC comes off the face like an old Ping beryllium copper putter, with a 'ting' and it's great for judging the pace, but inside 10' I miss more than I should because I find it harder to line up.

So my question, since I know Odyssey have several ranges of putters, do any of the ranges that they do the #7 in have the same sort of feel and noise of an old beryllium putter?

I hope that makes sense! :mad:

Thanks.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had the same problems with the Odysseys in the past Gary, keep meaning to try the new Metal X face albeit heard negative reports from a few guys I know who have tried it.

I ended up goping for the milled face Scotty but with a mallet style shape (Kombi) which for me has best of both worlds. The new Golo also falls into a similar category for me and is on the to try list

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a Kombi-S with the milled face, but it felt really soft to me for some reason. I think it might have been the sound as much as anything else.

I just love the metallic 'ping' sound and feel off the Scotty I have now.

I guess the metal-x is to try then. I was hoping someone would have had a go with one.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
maybe look for milled putter like the scotty that suits your eye & feel from 10" and in

I am similar with my ping being a bladed style I miss a lot of 3-4 footers but seem to be ok from distance whereas my 2ball (belly) was impossible to miss from 6ft or less but crap for long putts

bloody golf!! :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Might be worth finding a White Hot Tour Odyssey...
The insert is a bit firmer than the other Odyssey inserts although you don't that "Ting"
I don't find distance control a problem, in fact I find it a lot easier with my No.7h than any other putter.
Plus they look good in the golden bronze finish...

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Patience was never a strong point of mine. :mad:

Went online to AG to see if they stocked them, as my game this afternoon has been cancelled and they're open until 4pm, and ended up buying one (metal-x) off eBay for £99 brand new posted.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
this is the #7 tour with a far firmer insert

IMG_0586.jpg

what metal-X did you get?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what metal-X did you get?

The #7, as I know I generally hit the ball on the line I want very well with it.

Is there anything else different about the Tour version other than the insert?
Just wondering what makes it so dear compared to the other versions.

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I found the metal x even faster off the face than every milled putter I've ever tried. There didn't seem to be much feel either, it felt a bit like you were hitting a ping pong ball rather than a golf ball.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I found the metal x even faster off the face than every milled putter I've ever tried. There didn't seem to be much feel either, it felt a bit like you were hitting a ping pong ball rather than a golf ball.

It sounds like what I want, but they say "Be careful what you wish for!"

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
keep meaning to try the new Metal X face albeit heard negative reports from a few guys I know who have tried it.

Just out of curiosity Steve, what were the negative comments from people who've tried it?

Bit late now - stable door and all that - but just curious. :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just out of curiosity Steve, what were the negative comments from people who've tried it?

Bit late now - stable door and all that - but just curious. :)

Comments were related to feel and that it was no improvement over the insert versions in terms of distance control on longer putts. Fine from close in but face was a bit hot if a putt had to be hit

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have the *7 fang white hot, and have also had the larger *7 White ice version which has a firmer face but head is too large for me

Took me a while to judge pace but on good fast greens its one of the best putters around.