Obtaining handicap -- a few questions

banksy

Visit site
Having just joined a golf club, I wonder if Forumers could point out a few basic things about obtaining a handicap, as I am little confused but some parts of it.

I know some of the basics about getting a handicap, i.e. playing with another club member, handing in three marked cards etc, but was wondering how this works in practise in a little more detail.

As I understand I would have to mark the score on my own card, would I also need to mark the score of my playing partner too? Would my playing partner also mark my score on their card, or would they just sign my scored card at the end of the round?

Also, I know this may differ from club to club, but could I carry out my own handicap marking when playing with others who are playing in a comp, or could marking for handicap only be done when playing a "friendly" round? If the others are playing in a comp then should I mark their scores on my card too?

Thanks for the info,

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having just joined a golf club, I wonder if Forumers could point out a few basic things about obtaining a handicap, as I am little confused but some parts of it.

I know some of the basics about getting a handicap, i.e. playing with another club member, handing in three marked cards etc, but was wondering how this works in practise in a little more detail.

As I understand I would have to mark the score on my own card, would I also need to mark the score of my playing partner too? Would my playing partner also mark my score on their card, or would they just sign my scored card at the end of the round?

Also, I know this may differ from club to club, but could I carry out my own handicap marking when playing with others who are playing in a comp, or could marking for handicap only be done when playing a "friendly" round? If the others are playing in a comp then should I mark their scores on my card too?

Thanks for the info,

When you play with someone they will mark a card for you, you do not mark your own. As far as I know you can play with someone who is in a competition and have them mark a card for you.

So play 3 rounds with someone and get them to mark your cards and sign them. Also make sure you denote which tees you played from as there could be a difference in the SSS. The handicap committee will then review them and give you a handicap based on them.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Worth checking with your club the club requirements for intial handicap cards some will allow you to play with other members playing comps other prefer you don't, lots of variation from club to club so best check.
Otherwise as pointed out someone else will mark and sign your cards you countersign to say you agree with scores recorded.

Five&One

Head Pro
Visit site
Am I correct in thinking that, for the purposes of arriving at your CONGU handicap, the club will adjust your score downwards for any hole that was more than 2 over par, for example if you return a 9 on a par 5, for the purposes of calculating your handicap, it will be marked as a 7.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You definitely can't mark your own card either for handicap purposes or in a competition. Other than that have a chat with your handicap secretary as requirements tend to vary from club to club. Some let you play off the yellows if it has its own SSS and others insist you play off the whites