Now HMV into Admin

T

thecraw

This was always Tesco's plan. I read a while back that Tesco, Asda etc had aggressively targeted HMV to get the market share.

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
4000 odd staff will now be unemployed.

Tesco are selling BLUray for very low prices. I wonder will they now hike up their prices. Which would be sickening if they have purposely cost that many people their jobs.

No, because amazon and play are still cheaper.

We need stores which are now solely click and collect. Like Argos but with better stuff! The amount I ordered or click and collected at Xmas was epic.

Infact, fudge it...what we need is a building with storage units that people rent to have shiz delivered to so they don't miss it!....IDEA

Can wok in partnership with companies charge £1 an item per day...that's like a million quid a day or somefink

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't most of us wish for cheap and convenient? We ought to be careful what we wish for. 'Donut' towns here we come - and we as consumers will have made it so.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Part of the problem is that the high street is just not a pleasant place to be and shopping there is not a nice experience. Gangs of kids, drunks, rubbish, crowds, rude or untrained staff the lot. People will go back to the high street when it becomes somewhere pleasant to spend time. Add to that the fact that the shops are the same from one high street to the next and identical to the big, convenient shopping center with free parking and there are less reasons to go there.

As it happens, I spend money in HMV but not on new releases etc as they would like me to. I often buy from the 2 for £10 DVD offer or the 4 for £20 CDs.

jpenno

Head Pro
Visit site
I often pop into Hmv on lunch but don't buy stuff very much as they were usually dearer than bee and even game!

The one issue I have is that they knew this was going to happen yet sold gift cards and vouchers over Xmas period. They should have stated that vouchers would only be valid for 14 days after xmas. If the directors continued to trade and allow effectively worthless vouchers to be sold then they should be prosecuted under the directors disqualification proceedings,

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Part of the problem is that the high street is just not a pleasant place to be and shopping there is not a nice experience. Gangs of kids, drunks, rubbish, crowds, rude or untrained staff the lot. People will go back to the high street when it becomes somewhere pleasant to spend time. Add to that the fact that the shops are the same from one high street to the next and identical to the big, convenient shopping center with free parking and there are less reasons to go there.

As it happens, I spend money in HMV but not on new releases etc as they would like me to. I often buy from the 2 for £10 DVD offer or the 4 for £20 CDs.

I don't think I've ever been in one. If there even is one over here lol.

But I would buy the likes of what you do Greg if I was to be in one. But mainly I get my BluRays from the ex rentals at Xtra-Vision (BlockBuster for you guys). 3 for 2 and £7 each. Got Ted, 21 Jump Street and American Pie Reunion on Saturday for £14. Would cost £9 to rent them.

Idlenorth1

Head Pro
Visit site
The one issue I have is that they knew this was going to happen yet sold gift cards and vouchers over Xmas period. They should have stated that vouchers would only be valid for 14 days after xmas. If the directors continued to trade and allow effectively worthless vouchers to be sold then they should be prosecuted under the directors disqualification proceedings,[/QUOTE]

No gift cards or vouchers being accepted by hmv, agree with jpenno as they knew they were in trouble before Xmas so why blatantly just rob people by selling these worthless cards

DCB

Visit site
HMV have been in trouble for the last two years or so. It's just amazing that it's taken this long to get to this stage.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How is it we are letting ourselves become a nation of warehousemen :confused::(...

An answer to that question could be 'because we are greedy and lazy'. If we want it all and want to do as little as possible to get it, then the only way we can achieve that is to get what we can as cheaply as possible sat on our backsides.