Novice swing

Mambo71

Visit site
I consider myself to be a novice golfer though I have read a multitude of instructional books and have taken a course of lessons last summer. I feel that if I could improve my game (ie from poor to average:lol:), then I could enjoy it much more.
With this in mind and not having the time to commit to further lessons, I am considering sending a video of my swing to an online instructor. My self-diagnosis is that my main issue is the impact position. I seem to be striking the ball a little square-on and turning after. In other words, releasing the clubhead early, rather than the hands ahead of the clubhead position as shown in classic photographs. Anyway, with 101 options available, can anyone recommend such a service? Thanks

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You could post your video on youtube and post a link on here, there's a bit of knowledge amongst the old duffers.
Welcom to the forum btw

Mambo71

Visit site
Thanks Bob, I'll try to figure out how to upload to Youtube. I guess I was a bit concerned about being open to public scrutiny but I suppose we all have to start somewhere.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Firstly, let me say you've done a good job. Lots of good stuff there.
There are however one or two issues I'd suggest you look at.
Firstly the head movement off the ball on the backswing.

thtrh.jpg

I think you'll see from the right hand picture how much your head has moved. This will play havoc with your contact with the ball, especially off the fairway.
Try and keep it more centred on the backswing. The will help you get the club back to the ball more consistently and should improve your contact no end.
There is also a slight change I'd like to see in your set up, but get the head still first, then you can see where the ball is going.
Good swing though, well done.

Mambo71

Visit site
Very grateful Bob- I had a quick hit at the range at lunchtime. Thanks to your advice, I hit the ball as consistency as I ever have done. Head movement was not something I'd paid much attention to. I'd read somewhere (Leadbetter I think), not to emphasise the stillness of the head but it looks like I've taken that as carte blanche to sway to the right. I suppose it's logical that the bottom point of the arc falls into the same groove without the sway. Anyway thanks again Bob- It worked!

Mambo71

Visit site
Thanks for that video Leaney. Yes, I think my interpretation of weight transference was to move laterally as he said on there. But from my short trial on the range today it felt much more compact and consistent when bracing that right hand side.