North Worcestershire Golf Club - RIP?

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
It looks likely that the club I joined 2 years ago, North Worcestershire, is going to be sold for housing, the shareholding members have voted to allow the committee to enter into negotiations with a local house builder. The club is really struggling financially - membership has fallen partly due to the appalling summer of 2012 (built on clay), and rumours of closure have hardly encouraged people to join up.

There has been a petition sent to the council to try to prevent the sale, but the only supporters seem to be the nimbys who don't want their property values to go down and politicians who want the nimby's vote. The members are realistic enough to know that it's a lost cause.

It's a shame, a really nice course, short but challenging. Looks like I may be returning to the Lickey Hills.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It looks likely that the club I joined 2 years ago, North Worcestershire, is going to be sold for housing, the shareholding members have voted to allow the committee to enter into negotiations with a local house builder. The club is really struggling financially - membership has fallen partly due to the appalling summer of 2012 (built on clay), and rumours of closure have hardly encouraged people to join up.

There has been a petition sent to the council to try to prevent the sale, but the only supporters seem to be the nimbys who don't want their property values to go down and politicians who want the nimby's vote. The members are realistic enough to know that it's a lost cause.

It's a shame, a really nice course, short but challenging. Looks like I may be returning to the Lickey Hills.

Really sad. I have a website called Golf's Missing Links, it records the history of golf clubs and courses that have disappeared. It looks as though I will have to add North Worcestershire to the growing list of lost clubs and courses. Feel sorry for all the staff and members.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pretty understandable really!

150 Acres (I'm old style still) of Farmland 600-800K
150 Acres Golf Course. 2-5 Million!
150 Acres Business/Commercial 40-60 Million!
150 Acres Residential 150 Million!

Figures might be slightly - or even quite a bit - out, but the difference is pretty clear! Even if last 2 numbers are twice what they are in different parts of the country!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17920

Even the trophy boards are up for sale. Very sad! :(
and all the trophies as well, tragic is an understatement!

I hope the members buy the bits they want!

Even the the turf from 18 greens are to be auctioned off!

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
The course closed on 31st March but the clubhouse remained open throughout April for pre-booked weddings etc. The auction next week will be for the fixtures & fittings, trophies, grass cutters etc plus the turf from the greens.

Planning permission hasn't been granted yet - issues with the local road infrastructure apparently.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Rather than starting a new thread I spotted a post on FB about an auction of all the stuff from the Clubhouse.

Shame as I really liked the course.

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/liquidation-disposals-search-results/1234

Looks like its already happening.

Most of the members have moved to Kings Norton, the course you played on the same day as North Worcestershire. I've taken out twilight membership at Harborne but long hours are stopping me playing after work at the moment.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of the members have moved to Kings Norton, the course you played on the same day as North Worcestershire. I've taken out twilight membership at Harborne but long hours are stopping me playing after work at the moment.

Cheers for the info. Shame its true. :(

Liked the Kings Norton setup. :thup: Hopefully you will get the chance to get out more over the summer.