No mobiles at the Open – NOT FAIR

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Reference: "Mobile ban at the Open Championship" - the lead story on this website

I'm getting a bit fed up with being told what to do - whether it's that I can't smoke in a pub or, now, that I CAN'T TAKE MY MOBILE PHONE INTO THE OPEN. Unlike some people, I know how to turn my phone off or onto silent mode when I'm on the course. Why should I be penalised for the actions of a few stupid people?

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Feel a case of "Angry Old Man" coming on here Golf Donkey...! Do know what you mean but it seems a pretty easy way of ensuring that the pros, who you have paid to come and see, can do their job to the best of their ability without being unfairly penalised by some idiot's action.
Is it really that big a deal to not take your mobile to the open?

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What next - am I going to be told I can't have a can of cola on the course in case I open it at the wrong time? That I can't eat crisps on the course in case they crunch too loudly? That I'll be ejected if I cough at the wrong moment. All seems a bit officious to me.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree golf donkey, having a mobile at the golf (on silent) is useful. If you want to meet up with people a quick silent text message is the way forward. Although, I can confirm that the smoking ban has been good in Scotland. I didn't like the idea at first - infringement on civil liberties and all that, but it is nice when you get home from the boozer and don't stink of fags. The other bonus is that everyone goes outside to smoke... I'm not a smoker but I tend to go out with my mates when they go for a tab, it's a change of scene and a good way to get away from chatting with people you don't like. Also, it seems to be all the fun people who smoke so the banter outside is great.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The reason they are being banned is because people are taking pictures with them. The primary concern of the R&A is to host a good tournament - if the players complain because morons in the crowd are taking pics on their phones, the R&A have to do something.

I think the R&A are caught between a rock and a hard place here - any decision they make will upset someone.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They should make a point of throwing people out rather than banning all phones. Text is so useful in this day and age. I remember waiting for hours for mates to turn up at an arranged time and had no way of contacting them. :mad:

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If mobile 'phones were allowed and not required to be switched off, there would be so many of them ringing and 'photos clicking that it would just become part of the general background noise, like birdsong, and the players would ignore it. That's my theory, but I know it's rubbish, like most of my theories.

I would be in favour of ejecting any person who shouts 'get in the hole', or 'you da man' though.

Don't like the idea of you eating crisps and drinking cola Golfdonkey. Apart from the obvious noise, they're bad for you.

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
If the phone is set to silent then when taking pictures they don't make a noise. All thats required is a bit of discipline and for peolple who can't manage that kick them out no if's or buts. I'm sure the thought of paying £50 for a day and the chance of being booted out would make me select silent.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I would be in favour of ejecting any person who shouts 'get in the hole', or 'you da man' though.

Now this i agree with! It's just complete stupidity and people should be banned! Now that would make an interesting post on the forum.

As for golf donkey- he seems a bit stressed- I think banning mobiles at the Open is a positive step, every one at the Ryder Cup seemed happy with it. We survived without them before-why not now?

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dave 3498 - thanks for caring but if I want to eat things that are bad for me I should be allowed to. Just as if I want to smoke in a pub I should be allowed to. Why can't landlords decide on their own smoking policies? Then the non-smokers could go in the non-smoking pubs.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree Golfdonkey. You should be allowed to consume what you wish. As for smoking, it always saddens me when I watch all those old boys walk past the Cenataph on rememberance day and everbody saying 'well done', but they couldn't go down to their local pub and have a smoke with their pint without being asked to leave. They must wonder what they fought for.

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
As far as smoking goes i have to disagree with you both. Smoking in a confined area isn't fair on everyone else who's there. Apologies to the old boys who fought in the war.

Also, Golf Donkey - you smoke, eat crisps (probably stinky cheese & onion), drink coke and want the option to talk on your mobile in 'quiet public areas'. I think you should be given an ASBO.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A touch harsh JamieD3. All I'm saying is that smokers should be able to smoke together in smokers' pubs and share family-sized packs of cheese and onion crisps while texting each other – if that's what the landlord wants.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
I've gotta say I agree with banning them.

Firstly put yourself in the position of the players. Imagine you're on the 18th green on the last day with a 4 foot putt to take Tiger to a playoff, just as you're about to strike the ball some numptys phone blares out the latest polyphonic drivel , you miss the putt, would you be impressed ?? I think not.

Secondly it's gotta make thing more enjoyable for the spectators who've paid a substantial sum of money to be there. I've been at sporting events in the past where every 20 seconds a phone goes off. It kinda gets a bit annoying when you're subjected to 400 different ringtones in one day.

We coped without mobiles in the past, not sure why can't we now.

DHM.

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree with Duck hook. Stop people taking mobs to the Open because there are too many morons who can't be trusted to put them onto silent

Lipout

Medal Winner
Visit site
DCM, i agree. After all you dont hear mobile phones going off in the Crucible theatre, during a snooker championship. I think its just common courtesy. Anyway could you imagine if your mobile went off just as Doubtfire was a the top of his backswing, on the final hole of the Open!
Anyway, never mind the pros what about generally. I have played in an open competition, when a fellow players mobile phone rang. What made it worse was, that he answered it and said sorry to the caller that he couldn't talk just then!
Ban them all i say, on penalty of death!