Night Golf

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
hi all,

anyone here played night golf before as Pine Ridge are holding a nine hole event in Feb and I have always fancied giving it go.

thanks,

Dando

Boomy

Visit site
If youre going to do it, do it in July or August not February!!!!

Its fine for a laugh once, not sure Id want to play regularly

Play night golf at the height of summer whilst it’s daylight ? Doesn’t that kinda defeat the object.

D

Deleted member 1147

it still gets dark doesnt it? at least move closer to spring autumn rather than the coldest evenings possible in February

Yeah, I'd rather do it on a balmy summer's evening at say 10pm, than a cold february at 6pm

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our club held a 6 hole event last September. The people organising it illuminated the sides of the fairways, hazards, greens and the flag. The balls travel about 80% of normal distance and stay light for a few minutes after they are struck. Apparently we are doing it again this year. It was OK but I won't be bothering again.

Boomy

Visit site
it still gets dark doesnt it? at least move closer to spring autumn rather than the coldest evenings possible in February

Yes it does, but you’d be teeing off at 10pm which is a bit unrealistic. At least night golf out of summer season could be a 5/6pm tee, just put cold weather gear on ☃️ Simples. I can just imagine saying to the Mrs as I leave the house at 9pm - “just off for a game of golf, back at 3am ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes it does, but you’d be teeing off at 10pm which is a bit unrealistic. At least night golf out of summer season could be a 5/6pm tee, just put cold weather gear on ☃️ Simples. I can just imagine saying to the Mrs as I leave the house at 9pm - “just off for a game of golf, back at 3am ?

Think the time we did it we teed off at 9ish, only played 9 holes which was plenty. Still got home at 3am though lol

sunshine

Visit site
Yes it does, but you’d be teeing off at 10pm which is a bit unrealistic.

Why is that unrealistic?

Not everyone is tucked up in bed with their cocoa by 10pm. It's supposed to be a fun event over a shorter course. Trudging around a wet course on a freezing February night does not sound like fun! Probably hard to spot a glowing ball when it's plugged in mud :LOL:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Did it some years ago and, quite frankly, it was horrendous. Walking in largely pitch black was really dangerous, couldn't see pot holes etc, even in summer it was quite cold and we weren't dressed for that. Add to that the difficulty in hitting, putting,or even watching a ball in the dark - no thanks, never again!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did it some years ago and, quite frankly, it was horrendous. Walking in largely pitch black was really dangerous, couldn't see pot holes etc, even in summer it was quite cold and we weren't dressed for that. Add to that the difficulty in hitting, putting,or even watching a ball in the dark - no thanks, never again!
Didn’t you use glow balls

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They used to play one near me lining the fairway with glow sticks, same up the pin with a circular disc in the hole and a glow up ball.

Looked a right giggle.