New Shineys dilemna....?

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Evening guys

Went to DG Cambridge store today for a browse around the sale. I have been looking to replace 4/5 year old well used Mizzy Mp 57's(stiff shaft Project X 5.5 flighted) for a while and want to stay with Mizuno as IMO they are the best.

Have considered the new 64's and JPX 825 pros, but I just don't have the budget for these at the moment.
They had a set of gorgeous looking MP58's 3-PW at £449 with 20% off making these £360, but these were off the shelf and were DG R300 shafts which I was sceptical about as I had always used stiff shafts, but I thought for the price I might as well as have a go.

After taping them up I was off out onto the range to have a crack and they were superb.They were fairly forgiving,did not balloon as I thought and they were straight with lovely trajectory and at least a club longer than my 57's.I was hitting the 6 iron 150-155 into a strong wind, with range balls in the winter and were in a different league to my current irons.

My MP57's were custom fit, but not using flghtscope or trackman, but just through a strikeboard, swing speed device and measurements which came out at standard lie and length and these MP58's were also standard lie and length.
I always said to myself that my next set would a proper custom fit i.e. launch monitors with a qualified fitter, the works, however I am very tempted to buy these based on the price and how I hit them and I am not sure that any of the other Mizzy irons will perform that much better for £200+ more.

I know the MP58's are about 3 years old and they have not been custom fit, going against what I said I would do, but I am not sure I can resist them.

What do you think?

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
Why do you think you've always used stiff shafts?

If you like the look of them at address, and you like the flight of them, and you like the extra distance, and you like the price of them.................????????

Why haven't you bought them?

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why do you think you've always used stiff shafts?

If you like the look of them at address, and you like the flight of them, and you like the extra distance, and you like the price of them.................????????

Why haven't you bought them?

I suppose I am concerned that my heart is ruling my head and I have gone against what I would usually do when choosing new irons and not sure whether I may regret getting them, based on an hour of hitting them.

T

thecraw

Didn't read properly. Flighted 5.5 will still play stiffer than a R300 in my opinion.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
After taping them up I was off out onto the range to have a crack and they were superb.They were fairly forgiving,did not balloon as I thought and they were straight with lovely trajectory and at least a club longer than my 57's.I was hitting the 6 iron 150-155 into a strong wind, with range balls in the winter and were in a different league to my current irons.

What do you think?

I think if that's the case I wouldn't be worrying about what the shaft label says.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, I think DG at Hemmingford has a Mizuno fit box with all the different shaft options in there. Could be worth asking to see if they have a mp58 head in there and go through some different shaft options, won't cost anything.

I played around with a few before I brought my mp59's but had them custom fitted by my pro at Brampton.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes DG @ Hemingford has the DNA Mizuno box, i used it when being fit for my JPX 825 Pro

Ask for Dan he helped me alot, Asst. Manager i think

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, I think DG at Hemmingford has a Mizuno fit box with all the different shaft options in there. Could be worth asking to see if they have a mp58 head in there and go through some different shaft options, won't cost anything.

I played around with a few before I brought my mp59's but had them custom fitted by my pro at Brampton.

I did ask about if there was a custom fit option on these,but the manager said there was not if I wanted them at the sale price as the price would be more if they had to order from Mizuno with different shafts.They only had 3 stock sets in these with R300 shafts.I will ask again when i go in the week.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
R300 are the shaft I was specced by Titleist but got the current irons at a ridiculously crazy deal.
I considered changing the shafts to R300 and Ethan told me it was pointless as they were so similar.

R300,PX5.0,PX5.5 Flighted are all very similar to each other.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did ask about if there was a custom fit option on these,but the manager said there was not if I wanted them at the sale price as the price would be more if they had to order from Mizuno with different shafts.They only had 3 stock sets in these with R300 shafts.I will ask again when i go in the week.

I don't like the manager at the Cambridge branch, I find he isn't at all helpful with anything. All the young lads that work there are really good.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't like the manager at the Cambridge branch, I find he isn't at all helpful with anything. All the young lads that work there are really good.
I am talking about Giles the golf store manager, who is always very helpful when I go there, maybe you you are referring to someone else.IMO all staff there have always extremely courteous and helpful.