New router causing laptop conundrum!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is wierd and is really confusing me!
I've recently installed a new Sky wi-fi router and set up connections to my PC, my smartphone & my laptop.
Every time I use my PC or phone I get a connection immediately ...................... no problems.
Whenever I turn on my laptop, however, I have to enter the router's passcode!
I didn't have this issue with my previous router which would always connect automatically.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Slime.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
A bit obvious, but have you got your settings to automatically connect with your new router?
Is there a "ask before connecting" or "connect automatically" checkbox? Don't assume it does it automatically for every piece of new hardware you install.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or of course, good old "remember this network" setting.

There is a box that says something about remembering the settings and connect automatically ....................... which I have checked, but it still has to be ma nually connected on each boot-up!

Slime.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
what operating system is your laptop? are all of the patches up to date? are the drivers for the wifi card the most recent? as you say, it "should" remember it... do you use windows to configure your wireless?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
what operating system is your laptop? are all of the patches up to date? are the drivers for the wifi card the most recent? as you say, it "should" remember it... do you use windows to configure your wireless?

OS - Vista.
Patches - I think so!
Drivers - sorry mate, not a clue.
Config - No. I just entered the password & PIN when asked.

I know that probably doesn't help much, but my previous router had none of these issues ......................... and it's only with my laptop. My PC is fine and that's using XP.

Slime.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
have you turned it off and back on again?

sorry, couldnt resist as thats what all the IT Guru technical support people I've ever dealt with resort to :rolleyes::rofl:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most likely a driver issue. You Google the name and model number plus WiFi driver and it should return something. I have had this issue with a few Toshiba machines.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most likely a driver issue. You Google the name and model number plus WiFi driver and it should return something. I have had this issue with a few Toshiba machines.

I'll give that a go tomorrow, thanks.

Have you tried calling SKY?

When I have had a problem their support team could not of been more helpful...

I'll give that a go tomorrow too, thanks mate.

Slime.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll give that a go tomorrow, thanks.

I'll give that a go tomorrow too, thanks mate.

Slime.

All drivers are up to date & Sky suggest it's a laptop issue rather than a router issue ....................... and I think they're right!
Hey ho, I'll scratch my head a little more.

Slime.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not sure how it can be a driver issue, the laptop is just trying to connect to a WiFi network as before just from a different source.
I'd be looking at security settings on both the laptop and router webpage - on Windows 7 it's in Network, right click the router which should be shown there, select "view device webpage" which will open up in your browser.

Alternatively I'd be surprised if your solution isn't among this Google search...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?new...1.0....0...1c.1.49.hp..30.18.5158.s8VCl5n1E-w

Last edited: