new putting rules.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at the new putting rules. It throws up some interesting things. As it stands people like Adam Scott will still be able to use his long putter. As it is not anchored to his body and his arms above his elbow are not anchored either.

The important part of the new rule is "the arms anchored to the body above the elbows". This means even if you use a normal short putter , but have your arms above the elbow anchored against your body in some way. This too will be banned. Interesting?

DCB

Visit site
Last edited:
G

guest100718

I thought scott had the putter anchored on his chest? At least his hand that is on the top of the putter.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Adam Scott putts with the top of the broom handle anchored to his chest.

12_zpseb51cb0e.jpg

According to, what I understand, holding the club in the hands and anchoring the club against the body, be that belly of chest, is what is being made illegal.

Or have I missed the point of the OP?

DCB

Visit site
I'd agree with you Gareth. Not sure what OP has taken from the rule but you need to look at all the info to be sure of what it means and what it covers.

Scotts hand is the fulcrum point and is anchored, both making it illegal IMO.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd agree with you Gareth. Not sure what OP has taken from the rule but you need to look at all the info to be sure of what it means and what it covers.

Scotts hand is the fulcrum point and is anchored, both making it illegal IMO.

Adam Scott will be grand. He uses aimpoint ;)

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
This means even if you use a normal short putter , but have your arms above the elbow anchored against your body in some way. This too will be banned. Interesting?

The R&a site says that you can hold your arms against your body IF AND ONLY IF your two hands are in contact with each other.
Hence the example of the old classic Nicklaus grip with both forearms attached to his belly would be legal because his 2 hands are touching.

Someone with a claw grip and their left inside forearm against their belly would be illegal, UNLESS they make their 2 hands touch.
Which I think makes nonsense of the rule because you just extend your left index finger down the shaft to lightly touch your right hand and you become legal.

(see Explanation 3 Answer 2)