New Open Championship venue?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
If you could take the Open somewhere new (so not somewhere that's dropped off the rota) in the coming years where would it be?

Don't burden yourself with logistics, hotels and roads in and out - just name the links course that you'd love to see the Open being played on.

I'll kick us off with the Land Of My Father and go for Royal Porthcawl which, in my ordinary and very biased opinion, is phenomenal in every sense

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So we are assuming that Capacity for stands/fans/media etc Then there are a few that come to mind (These are ones I've played though.)
  • Royal Cinque Ports
  • Rye
  • St Enodoc
  • Saunton
  • Royal Devon

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So we are assuming that Capacity for stands/fans/media etc Then there are a few that come to mind (These are ones I've played though.)
  • Royal Cinque Ports
  • Rye
  • St Enodoc
  • Saunton
  • Royal Devon

I don't think Deal meets the criteria having already hosted the Open twice.

I'd like to see it played at Castle Stuart - simply because I love the beauty of the place when you see it on TV. A lot of links courses lack that a little, although I appreciate they have their own beauty.

D

Deleted member 15344

Only 1 place it really should go - Royal Porthcawl

It would be great at many of the other great links around but adding in Porthcawl is the sensible choice ?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't think Deal meets the criteria having already hosted the Open twice.

I'd like to see it played at Castle Stuart - simply because I love the beauty of the place when you see it on TV. A lot of links courses lack that a little, although I appreciate they have their own beauty.

I know it's very close to RSG, but if I'm honest I think it's a better course to play - just doesn't have the capacity. Plus I can get there :sneaky:(y)

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know it's very close to RSG, but if I'm honest I think it's a better course to play - just doesn't have the capacity. Plus I can get there :sneaky:(y)

Can you imagine all the cars trying to get to it :ROFLMAO:

Ryes a good shout.
Would be good to have a few other southern courses on the rota so all of the others are a good call too.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Kingsbarns for me

What might be an interesting idea is to double the entry and play it over three adjacent courses.

North Berwick, Gullane No 1 and Muirfield
Carnoustie, Kingsbarns and St Andrews
Dundonald, Royal Troon and Turnberry Ailsa.
54 hole cut with final round on the 'main' course.