glasgowbeginner

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ok guys first post so Hi all!

Now onto my question, I have just joined my first golf club, dougalston golf club In Glasgow. I'm heading down on Friday go get my members pack etc. but apart from playing my local 9 hole course once or twice a week for about a year I have never played any other course so this is all new to me. I wanted to find out if anybody on here has ever played the course ? I've heard it's a rather hard course and will challenge even a low handicapper so I'm assuming I'll need quite a few balls !

Lastly does anybody have any etiquette tips or anything I should look out for when I first play and use the clubhouse etc.?

Thanks guys

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

Pretty sure I've played Dougalston in the distant past but can't remember anything about it! :eek:

Get yourself a handicap as soon as possible, don't worry about what it is, and get involved in some competitions. And, of course, enjoy!

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My mate was a member there two years ago. He left as his travellin thru work meant he hardly got to play.

He enjoyed it and you are right there's a premium on accuracy!

The did a lot of work on drainage recently, but like every course in west central scotland the rain is a killer and it making it fairly soggy underfoot.

glasgowbeginner

Medal Winner
Visit site
Wow well if the club is as friendly as this I'm sure it'll be a ball! Thanks Farneyman will watch the videos on that before I go for my first round.

Yeah powerfade I had heard that myself so until I get the driver straight I think it'll be coming out the bag lol!

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
giphy.gif

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great opening hole at your new place. Don't look at the water, don't look at the water!!!

It is pretty tight and some tough Par's if I remeber correctly. Nice course

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Play the course as you find it and your ball as it lies. keep up with the group in front and not in front of the group behind. Always be ready to play when it's your turn.Pick up when you cant score. Always leave you Bag/Trolley on the tee side of the green. Follow those and you wont go far wrong. E.Y.G enjoy your golf.

glasgowbeginner

Medal Winner
Visit site
Great opening hole at your new place. Don't look at the water, don't look at the water!!!

It is pretty tight and some tough Par's if I remeber correctly. Nice course

Haha yeah I've seen plenty of pics of the first tee! I was a member of the gym next to it for a while before I decided to take the plunge and sign myself up.

Thexindi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok guys first post so Hi all!

Now onto my question, I have just joined my first golf club, dougalston golf club In Glasgow. I'm heading down on Friday go get my members pack etc. but apart from playing my local 9 hole course once or twice a week for about a year I have never played any other course so this is all new to me. I wanted to find out if anybody on here has ever played the course ? I've heard it's a rather hard course and will challenge even a low handicapper so I'm assuming I'll need quite a few balls !

Lastly does anybody have any etiquette tips or anything I should look out for when I first play and use the clubhouse etc.?

Thanks guys

Welcome and enjoy the forum

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Balls! Think of a number then double it. Unless the number is 3 or less - in which case treble it. Minimum 9 balls. Don't want you worrying about running out of balls if things don't go well first half doz holes :)

glasgowbeginner

Medal Winner
Visit site
Balls! Think of a number then double it. Unless the number is 3 or less - in which case treble it. Minimum 9 balls. Don't want you worrying about running out of balls if things don't go well first half doz holes :)

Haha yeah. Got a box in the boot of the car and I have a funny feeling I will pretty much have them all in my bag! Rather have too many!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played it years ago when I lived nearby, remember it as being a very pleasant but testing course and decent value at the time, when private courses were very expensive.
Like others I often take a spare ball with me in case I scuff the original with my sharp grooves.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I recently just joined Campsie Golf Course. A stones throw from Dougalston. You learn a lot the more you visit and play. Check their online diary for their busier days of medals and the like. I like to play mine at night or if it's during the day a Monday or Tuesday because there's nothing on those days. You'll learn when it suits you at first. Makes a big difference.

I opted to just get out and play the course as many times as I could even if it's nine holes. I play three times a week if I can manage it and I work full time. I only really visit the range now to test out clubs, which is less and less now that I have found "the ones" A frequent visitor to Bishopbriggs golf range for a while there without it actually contributing to better gameplay on the course.

My course is really really quiet at night so I manage to be able to chuck a few balls down into bunkers and the outskirts of the green and practice my chipping and stuff. Regardless of what you see others doing, always repair pitchmarks and replace divots. It's second nature to me and as long as you're doing it, no one can pull you up on it. I even rake bunkers when I see they are all footprints with sheep or deer.