New member-bad advice

Lipout

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi to all on the forum. Girlfriend watching dancing on ice, i'm starting to lose the will to live!!! Oh for those light nights to return. Have enjoyed and laughed at some previous topics. Here is a question for you all to ponder. Whats the worse bit of golf advice you have ever received? Mine is "take an iron for safety!!!" A contradiction in terms.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
"Keep your head down". This tends to make the novice golfer stick his chin to his chest and keep it there during the swing. How are you supposed to make a proper turn doing that?

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
great post

for me it had to be 'to try and attack the ball from the inside' (sold as a cure to blocking and slices)

all it did was bring on a month long bout of the shanks with 3 to wedge and a tendency to pull driver and 3 wood violently to the left

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great post indeed.

As a 13 year-old boy I was told by one golf coach to 'pause at the top'

a) Sandy Lyle is the only player I can think of who actually pauses at the top of his backswing. He looks stupid, I'd look worse. As a 13 year-old boy this would lead to unparalleled levels of bullying.
b) What does this serve to do? Why not start your swing from the top?

Poor advice, I much prefer "hit the ball as hard as possible."

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a junior I was told: "Make sure you carry your clubs over your right shoulder with the open end facing forward." I've never quite got over it.

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
My real pet hate in this area is when playing matchplay and you are faced with a putt for the half, your partner says, 'there's no point in leavng it short' or 'you might as well give it a good run'.

If i lagged it that would make me a moron. therefore this advice implies that my partner thinks I'm thick.... I'm not btw.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I HATE it when people say 'don't hit it in the water'which has put the very idea that I'm going to hit it in the water into my head. All I can think as I've hovering over the ball is 'this is going to go straight into the water'.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you've got every right to wrap your 9-iron round his neck in this situation. I once played in a match for my club when my opponent on the 17th, as I was preparing to hit my tee shot ( I was 1 down at the time) told me that there was OB all the way down the right. Guess where I hit it?

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Anything I'm told that doesn't work for me on the course is considered bad advice LOL. "Play to win" though has to be my least favoured snippet of advice from last season, I prefer "play to play, winning may or may not follow suit"