New Irons

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hello im currently playing with Callaway Golf X-22 CG Steel 4-SW Irons
Fantastic irons that i hit fairly well but i feel now i need more then the irons can give me

What irons do you think would be the next step up do you think?
Im handicap is around 10 right now
few average distances im getting with my current irons
PW- 125
7 - 160
4 - 195

Any Irons you might suggest or just stick with um?

thanks

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Distances look fantastic.

Quick question:

You're on the fairway with 195 yards to the pin. You pull out the 4 iron.

How many times out of 10 do you get within 10 yards of the pin?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My first question would be:

Why do you feel you need more than your current irons give you?

Shot shaping? Forgivness? ...... Surely not more distance :mad:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I reckon.... if you want new clubs go for it, but don't think that your current ones aren't good enough to get you any lower.

If a cat1 player used your irons he would still kick both of our butts! :)

I've had new irons each of the last 2 years, but I'm under no illusions that the ones I got rid of were plenty good enough for me to carry on improving. I just wanted to change so did. If it's not taking food off the table and you fancy a change then it's all good :thup:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
X22's are a pretty solid club.
Maybe a bit large but as long as they fit your eye there's no reason to change them unless you want to or they're worn out (and as they're Callaways, made of the same substance as Pings and is the most durable material in the known Universe, they never will).:thup:

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Distances look fantastic.

Quick question:

You're on the fairway with 195 yards to the pin. You pull out the 4 iron.

How many times out of 10 do you get within 10 yards of the pin?

Not often, when im using a long iron to the green if i get it on the green thats a success lol

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My first question would be:

Why do you feel you need more than your current irons give you?

Shot shaping? Forgivness? ...... Surely not more distance :mad:

I know the x22s are good club but they are for me the lesser handicap player i just feel if i had a better set , i could get a few more shots down, but i have no idea what set that might be

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
what do you feel is missing?
Distance is gr8 but its the control i feel im missing

EG - Par 3 160 yards severely up hill, i took a 6 iron hit it amazing towards the green but i felt i had no control of the ball it hit the green and just flew off the back of it

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
First thing to consider is that players irons may not go just as far as your callys, I had a set of x14s and they went very very well, my AP2s are def a touch shorter but as you said, they do feel better when trying to hit specific types of shots.

EG - Par 3 160 yards severely up hill, i took a 6 iron hit it amazing towards the green but i felt i had no control of the ball it hit the green and just flew off the back of it

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

but isn't a 6 iron from any set going to do that, just because folk on here say they can spin a 6 iron don't make it true.;)

Control will come from the swing to a certain extent, as i said in my post earlier i guy i know is off 2 and has no problems with the clubs at all. I've just gone from a set of blades to GI irons, only difference is the GI go further and are more forgiving.

A

Alex1975

but isn't a 6 iron from any set going to do that, just because folk on here say they can spin a 6 iron don't make it true.;)

Control will come from the swing to a certain extent, as i said in my post earlier i guy i know is off 2 and has no problems with the clubs at all. I've just gone from a set of blades to GI irons, only difference is the GI go further and are more forgiving.

That is strange Patrick, a post of yours with a snipe about the wider community???!!!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Here to help :)
The type of shot you play has a large bearing in how quickly it stops too, a high 6 iron or normal 7 etc, both go the same distance but would think the high 6 would stop quicker. Assuming you do not get the backspin on the 7 that would normally be associated with a PW.

You just blew my mind

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Here to help :)
The type of shot you play has a large bearing in how quickly it stops too, a high 6 iron or normal 7 etc, both go the same distance but would think the high 6 would stop quicker. Assuming you do not get the backspin on the 7 that would normally be associated with a PW.

I can hit my irons well but for me its just hitting them towards the green and i feel like i cant hit the right parts of the greens

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you are looking for a bit more feel and consistancy maybe a forgiving set of forged irons would be worth a look.

There are always good sets in the for sale section

:whistle:

;)