New irons - Cure my Cynicism

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Now - my buddy/coach tells me that as I can afford to at the moment (for the first time ever basically) I should invest in a new set of irons - he suggests the Ping i200s and he'll get me down to 7 handicap (I'm 8.1) quite quickly.

Now I am actually open to the idea as my current irons (John Letters F-7s) were bought about 10yrs ago for £299 (so there are clearly two Scottish things in there).

But I go onto reviews for the i200s and I get a load of stuff about launch angle, dispersion, distance consistency, and techy stuff about the weight distribution etc in the head.

This stuff I find a total turn-off and consider it all total male bovine detritus - because I know all the inconsistencies in my swing and how I play the game - and consider these things as making all that marketing guff just the words that they are.

I need my cynicism cured. I could buy them just because I can...

So quite simply - putting aside that I can - why should I spend £1000 on new irons when I have a set - albeit that they are ten years old and so getting a bit tatty and bashed round the edges.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now - my buddy/coach tells me that as I can afford to at the moment (for the first time ever basically) I should invest in a new set of irons - he suggests the Ping i200s and he'll get me down to 7 handicap (I'm 8.1) quite quickly.

Now I am actually open to the idea as my current irons (John Letters F-7s) were bought about 10yrs ago for £299 (so there are clearly two Scottish things in there).

But I go onto reviews for the i200s and I get a load of stuff about launch angle, dispersion, distance consistency, and techy stuff about the weight distribution etc in the head.

This stuff I find a total turn-off and consider it all total male bovine detritus - because I know all the inconsistencies in my swing and how I play the game - and consider these things as making all that marketing guff just the words that they are.

I need my cynicism cured. I could buy them just because I can...

So quite simply - putting aside that I can - why should I spend £1000 on new irons when I have a set - albeit that they are ten years old and so getting a bit tatty and bashed round the edges.

Because it is what we golfers do :D. Simple as.

On a more serious note, I tend to think good golfers, you are clearly one, will benefit less from new gear as most new gear relates to helping bad strikes be better. If you hit the ball well already then the benefit may be marginal and not worth £1,000. Us bad ball strikers will gain more assistance by having multiple sweet spots. I don't know that I could spend that much on clubs but then my financial situation is likely to be different from yours so if you have the money, you play plenty of golf, treat yourself. Who doesn't love something new and shiny?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think getting fitted would be good if you want to come down and make sure they suit you and your game. I would think the main differences would be more forgiveness on the i200's (I have a friend who plays of 2 who uses them), stronger lofts on the new irons and getting the correct shaft. That was a big thing for me as I moved from steel to recoil graphite shafts. That made a real difference.

I currently play with Callaway XR irons but have a set of Maxfli Revolution midsize which are lovely irons but definitely not as long or as forgiving in the long irons.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Total waste of £700; new and shiny aren't what you are looking for.

However, splashing out £300 on a quality set from 2016/2017 is a different matter!

U

User62651

Total waste of £700; new and shiny aren't what you are looking for.

However, splashing out £300 on a quality set from 2016/2017 is a different matter!

Think these are wise words. £300 for a set of 6 or 7 irons is more than enough. With irons it's not about extra distance, just consistent distance.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
..although there is a chance you then end up changing your wedge make up and some of the clubs between your irons and driver. You may not.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
a bag of sand for a set of pings, no thanks lol

better and cheaper options out there imo, depending on if you feel the need to fund the OEMs sponsoring the tour pros

D

Deleted member 16999

Surely as a real buddy he should be suggesting you try different sets or brands rather than one particular model. :confused:

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Go and get custom fitted for a new set by someone who knows what they're doing, you'll need to spend more than £300 but you will notice the difference and try a few different manufacturers not just Ping.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's been ten years since your last set. If you buy a new set that will last you for the same time, that works out at between £75 to £100 a year (£1.50 to £2.00 a week) averaged over that time. It's not really that much if you're not a habitual club changer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's been ten years since your last set. If you buy a new set that will last you for the same time, that works out at between £75 to £100 a year (£1.50 to £2.00 a week) averaged over that time. It's not really that much if you're not a habitual club changer.

My history with sets of irons might explain my cynicism. I've only had three set of irons all my golfing life.

In about 1976 My dad bought me a second hand set of 1960s (prob) Macgregor split soles clubs for my 18th birthday - he just presented them to me one day - thought I deserved something better than my mixed bag of 40+yr old things (inc hickory shafters). Gosh they were nice but hard to hit - but I just got on with it and taught myself how to hit them

In 1986 I was in my first job and for first time ever had a little money to spare - and the pro shop at my club had an almost new set of Wilson Staff Fluid Feels. The pro said they were really good clubs. So I bought them. Then went out to see what they felt like. Gosh they were nice but hard to hit - but I just got on with it and taught myself how to hit them

In 2007 my Staffs were very tired and was thinking about re-shafting, but family ... and so money was v tight but saw an ad for John Letters F-7s. John Letters Clubs re-launch model - going for £299 the set (3-PW). Only 250 sets made. I phoned up and got one of the last remaining sets. And they arrived. Gosh they were nice but hard to hit - but I just got on with it and taught myself how to hit them.

Do you spot a pattern?

First time in 31 yrs that I have the money that means I can afford a nice new set of clubs...but my cynicism...:(

Mind you - way I am playing my curret 8.1 could easy find me 9 rather than 7 rather sooner,.

I'll add one little note. If you bother doing the arithmetic you'll find I have a significant birthday this year - and my family think I should get a new kilt plus another jacket. Let's just say my 27yr old wedding kilt now fits my son rather better than it does me.

And there we have the £1000

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

He will if I ask him to...and he's an assistant pro and said he'll do custom fitting etc for me...
OK, different now you’ve expanded on it, why don’t you go to your local AG, try a few different ones and then go back to your mate with a bit more of an idea of what you like.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, different now you’ve expanded on it, why don’t you go to your local AG, try a few different ones and then go back to your mate with a bit more of an idea of what you like.
Yeah, fittings are free at AG. You don't even have to pay attention to what their fitter says if you don't want to, it's just a good way to try out some new irons and see if they feel better than your old ones.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah, fittings are free at AG. You don't even have to pay attention to what their fitter says if you don't want to, it's just a good way to try out some new irons and see if they feel better than your old ones.

My mate will do the fitting and combine with a lesson in our swing studio...so rather points me to using him.

Thing is - I honestly still don't see the point in trying different makes and models that much - as much as that probably sounds barmy to most here - but I just don't. If it looks nice - and it's a good club - and gets good review - then my personal experience is that I will be able to make it work well for me, and if my mate does all the fitting etc...

What he has said we are going to do is have me getting a lesson from him in the studio with my current bats - then once he's got things working nicely he'll put an i200 into my hands.

He's convinced I'll immediately see and feel the difference - hmmm - see the depth of my cynicism around buying golf clubs :)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Another way of looking at it could be that your buddy/coach appears to be saying that he can do no more for you in terms of improving your play but you can buy yourself a shot off your handicap.

I'd be asking myself, "Do I want to gain a shot by buying it or do I want to carry on using clubs that call for a degree more skill and so give greater satisfaction when I do put together a good round?"

D

Deleted member 16999

Another way of looking at it could be that your buddy/coach appears to be saying that he can do no more for you in terms of improving your play but you can buy yourself a shot off your handicap.

I'd be asking myself, "Do I want to gain a shot by buying it or do I want to carry on using clubs that call for a degree more skill and so give greater satisfaction when I do put together a good round?"
Or, am I holding myself back and giving an unfair advantage to opponents and the course by not fully benefitting from modern technology. ;)

Moquillo19

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Treat yourself! The technology has changed and you may well be losing out by not taking advantage of the new stuff. Personally I find it reassuring just to know my clubs were made for me to my swing needs and that extra confidence does filter into my game I'm sure.