New Iron woes.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Just typed loads only for the board to crash -argh! So here's the truncated version...

Just upgraded irons from Cobra S2Max to Titleist AP1. Was fitted for them, came out the best for distance and dispersion though the GC2/HMT must've been faulty because the spin was 2000 on a 7i!

I've always hit a high ball, questioned how high the AP1 was launching and was reassured height is beneficial.

Now with the AP1s, I'm losing ridiculous distance into any sort of head wind. As much as 20-25 yards even when the wind is minimal. The ball just stalls and drops.

I was fitted for the light shaft, the 95g one. Could this be an issue?

Or just a bad fitting?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
either a swing issue or a fitting issue. The shaft could be spinning the ball too much for you, or your adding loft the the club at impact giving a high launch with higher spin.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At Silvermere, the fitters were working hard to reduce my spin numbers with the irons. I would think you need to go back and discuss the spin rates with the fitter again, especially if you aren't happy

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're the old shafts not a similar lightweight steel option, feel sure they are...??
Is the loss of distance down to different lofts between the 2 sets....??

I've never really seen the AP1 irons balloon
I've hit them myself, ( 2 mates had/have them ) real good solid irons, so I'd suggest technique rather than blame the fitting.

We're you fitted by the Pro that you normally have your lessons with....??

I'd go back see the fitter, tell them your issues, I'm sure they will be able to see if swing issues......or other....??

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Yea I think my next course of action is to get back on a GC2 that is actually working properly and look at the numbers. I've lost a little faith in the guy who fitted me, who is my normal pro yes. Sadly he doesn't order the clubs so if there was a change needed I'd be fully responsible for the cost even if he found he was at fault, which he may not be!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Moogie, my Cobras definitely felt heavier than the AP1 but I can't remember their weight exactly. The lofts are similar, certainly within a degree or two. Distance wise, I find the AP1 longer with the wind, or at least on the same level on lesser hits. It's only into the wind where I get the loss, which suggests to me it must be a spin rate issue.

I have always hit the ball high which is why I suggested at fitting that something lower launching might be ideal but my worries were quickly dispelled.