New golfers

Saplin

Visit site
After going to the range a few times and playing a few par 3 courses during the lockdown with the father in laws old clubs and getting the bug to go out and play, I've finally purchased my own clubs.
I'm just after some advice for a new golfer for areas to practice or maybe even a syndicate to meet people like myself just getting into the sport, I might consider joining a club but alot of them are out of my price range at the moment so I'm looking for some help to get me going in the right direction

Tinkerman

Visit site
Don't bother joining a club yet. Find a par 3 course nearby and start there. Then once you feel ready for a full length course, do a Twilight round and just do 9 holes. 18 might be too much at first attempt.
See if you can get a friend or family member to start playing as well and it'll make it more fun.
Don't forget to keep smiling even when you're struggling!

NearHull

Visit site
You may find our Academy information will help build your confidence to go on a course. I've removed the links that are specific to our club.

Attachments

• Academy members access to the course_ redacted..pdf
    140.6 KB · Views: 8

Fabia999

Visit site
I find a mixture of the range and par 3 course was a great start. You can hit multiple balls at the range improving your ball striking and a par 3 course is a great introduction. All the other points are valid but most importantly, enjoy it!

phillarrow

Visit site
My advice would be to try to practice on grass as much as you can, and to focus on the short game and putting at least 50% of your practice time. If there's nowhere to practice your putting, get yourself a good quality mat and use it at home.

Driving ranges can be great, but they can also mask some issues in my opinion, with slightly fat shots being 'forgiven' a bit too much. The quicker/more you practice on grass, the better your ball striking will become.

D

Deleted member 21258

Par 3 courses are a great place to start or a quite nine hole shorter course for the first few games. A couple of friends with prior knowledge can also help to take steps.

Swinging the club, is a good way of learning to progress or taking a couple of lessons to get you on the right track.

Normally you can also find golf societies locally, which may be worth to local out for, if you fancy days out.

Have a great time, best of luck and hope it works out for you, golf is great fun and a good ride.

G1z1

Visit site
Maybe try and get a winter membership somewhere local, that’s what I did when I started. I would try and get first tee time as I was a bit nervous about playing slow and bad but you pick it up pretty fast. After a few games you won’t look back.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just wanted to add that I live in stratford upon avon / midlands area
A couple of 9 hole courses near Stratford would be Warwick racecourse and Harvington where there is also an 18.
Both will allow you to spray the ball around a bit.
There's also a 9 hole layout at Bidford but only if you like water.
All are pay and play.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
A couple of 9 hole courses near Stratford would be Warwick racecourse and Harvington where there is also an 18.
Both will allow you to spray the ball around a bit.
There's also a 9 hole layout at Bidford but only if you like water.
All are pay and play.

Bidford is a great little course! Played it twice and loved it! Very cheap too.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My club offers an 3 month Academy Membership for £100. The package includes tuition on skills and course etiquette and aims to get you on the course at the end of the 3 months. There may be equivalent memberships near you.
Joining a Golf Club's Academy is a good suggestion for someone such as yourself. You'll get the benefits already mentioned - and it'll tell you whether golf - and indeed membership - is something for you.

You'll hopefully find that you'll get a club member assigned to you as a mentor and as well as helping you on the course in matters of etiquette and course management (he won't - or shouldn't - try and do much coaching - that's for the coaches), he'll also give you a feel of what being a member of a and 'your' club is all about, introducing you to other members etc.

I add that I say 'your' club as I am very strong on Academy Members being treated, and feeling, as if they were a full member - albeit with very different access to the course and any other facilities and rights offered to full members.

Last edited:

Carlwm

Visit site
Just wanted to add that I live in stratford upon avon / midlands area

Not sure how close it is to you but Ombersley Golf Clourse near Droitwich is excellent. You can play nine or eighteen holes (less than twenty quid for the former) and it's decent sized (10 par fours, four par fives and four par threes) so it'll give you a bit more of a challenge than a par 3 course, without being off-puttingly huge. It also has a starter so you don't have to worry about anyone teeing off immediately after you and rushing you along.

I'm a beginner and I played there last Summer when I was on a holiday road-trip and had a whale of a time so I'd heartily recommend it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprised more clubs don't have an equivalent of 'couch to 5k' sort of 'couch to first tee' a mix of lessons, etiquette, help with gear, short course lessons etc with a view to getting a group of novices from picking up a club for the first time to being comfortable on an 18 hole course.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Bidford is a great little course! Played it twice and loved it! Very cheap too.
Yes, but I used to play it when it was 18 holes.
Now it's 9 I don't go there anymore and one reason is that when it becomes crowded there can be heated arguments.
Nearby is Welford (18) which tends to be friendly. Also pay and play.
The price you pay for pay and plays is there are always going to be players who do not understand the etiquette.

(hope you liked the puns in the last sentence).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surprised more clubs don't have an equivalent of 'couch to 5k' sort of 'couch to first tee' a mix of lessons, etiquette, help with gear, short course lessons etc with a view to getting a group of novices from picking up a club for the first time to being comfortable on an 18 hole course.
Many do - with their Academies that's exactly what clubs are looking to achieve.