New ball memories

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
With Mikey's ball threads, it made me think of new balls when i started golf in the early '70s.
I remember them coming wrapped in cellophane as in the pic.

I used to love unwrapping one of these. In my head I can still smell and hear the crackle of the cellophane. It just seemed something special to me to use a new ball.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 70

Mikey

Hacker
Visit site
With Mikey's ball threads, it made me think of new balls when i started golf in the early '70s.
I remember them coming wrapped in cellophane as in the pic.

I used to love unwrapping one of these. In my head I can still smell and hear the crackle of the cellophane. It just seemed something special to me to use a new ball.
I remember these very well,my favourite were the penfold ace with the diamond,spade,heart and clubs,I think I have a couple in my old ball collection,not in the wrappers though.dunlop,Dunlop and warwich,slazenger+ commander just to name a few.do you you also remember the uniroyal plus 6 which has hex dimples,I have some of those in red,white and mustard colours.ive had them since the 70's early 80's

Mikey

Hacker
Visit site
i have a box of dunlop 65`s still boxed and individually wrapped .
doubt they are worth much now as they are the old English small sized balls.
I'm led to believe they are 1.62,and balls of today are 1.68,I've an oversized ball in by collection but not sure was size it is

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

I remember an oversized ball, can anyone recall what it was called?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've played a couple of old 1.62" balls this year with my old school set.
The limited experience I got until I lost them confirmed what is generally said, in that they went further but were harder to get airborne.

My brother got me a couple more when his club asked the members for old balls to go into their range bank. I'll be using these next year when the weather improves, I might even save them to use in another Old School meet if there's enough interest.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Used to love finding a +6. They even took full page ads in the Telegraph when they came out - I hasten to say my dad bought the Telegraph, I was a junior back then!!