New and after your opinions

fripnchips

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello All,

New guy from Wokingham in Berkshire looking to get back playing after several years absence. So if anybodys local and fancies a game or two please shout.

Anyway my next dilemma (and reason for joining here although i plan on sticking around) is that i have a set of clubs which although not great have served me well untill the last month where i have lost the weights out of the back of my PW and 4 iron. The PW happened first so i replaced it with a cleveland 588 48 and 52. Now the 4 iron has happened i am thinking it may be time to upgrade?

My current set up is
Driver - Nike Ignite 410.
3,5 Woods - Ram FX
Irons - Maxfli tour LTD
Wedges - 48,52 Cleveland 588.

My game has rapidly improved this year i guess from playing more and having a lesson or two from shooting high 90's to low to mid 80's (with putting being my Achilles heal).

I guess my question is would you hold off this season with what i have got and get some new irons over the winter or is now the time? Is there a type of iron that i would benefit from playing with or again hold out until i'm ready for what american golf call 'low handicap' clubs?

Sorry for the waffle as you can guess although i have played off and on for years i'm new to all of this. Also if this is in the wrong section please can an admin move it?

Cheers
Phil

gdc

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are committed to playing golf again I would bite the bullet and get a new set. The sooner you get to grips with them the better - you could wait until October and play them in over the winter.

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Welcome Phil, your choice of irons will be dictated by your budget but most players have some kind of cavity back irons with one or two hybrids in the bag as well.

The hybrids are great if you want to hit it out of some kind of rough lie , so IMO are a good bit of kit to have .

Best time to buy? Anytime really if you can get a discount code or voucher but around February / march time, the stockists try to get rid of last years models to make way for the new lot so it can be worth waiting.

Good luck in your hunt and EYG!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Welcome, welcome!

I know blokes of scratch who play with fairly rubbish old irons, I know high handicappers who play blades okay (driving and putting lets them down), and I know mid-handicappers who play a combination of old and new. Lee Westwood plays Ping i20s and I play the next generation up (i25s), but I'm nowhere near his level obviously. Now there's shaft differences to factor in, but you get the idea.

It's whatever works for you, so don't get bogged down by the whole low - mid - high handicapper thing. It's meant as a guide. My advice is to go somewhere that has several makes of clubs, and give loads a bash, and just find some irons you like the look of as well as can hit.

I tried the Nike Covert 2.0, and while the strike was very nice and they were easy to hit, I just couldn't get over the look of them. Massively chunky and just plain ugly.

Depending on what you want to spend, you'll be amazed at the choice, so try loads and then decide.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Phil, welcome.

If you have the money now and you think your swing is relatively repeatable then I'd be tempted to get some new clubs now.

If you plan to have a any of lessons which could significantly change your swing and thus the clubs you need then I'd hold off.

Don't get fooled by the 'low handicapper' clubs. Hit a load of different demo clubs until you find something you like then get custom fit for them.

fripnchips

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I have had a couple of lessons here and there of a friends dad (who happened to play professionally at one point) who was happy with my swing as a whole just afew tweaks here and there mainly on the follow through.

Definitely going to be sticking with it now just need to find some more regular playing partners. So i think i'll get my self up to american golf then and try afew.

I think i'll look at cavity backed as i have a 3 hybrid that came with the set of irons which i have never got on with and i'm comfortable with my 5 wood off the fairway/semi rough.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I have had a couple of lessons here and there of a friends dad (who happened to play professionally at one point) who was happy with my swing as a whole just afew tweaks here and there mainly on the follow through.

Definitely going to be sticking with it now just need to find some more regular playing partners. So i think i'll get my self up to american golf then and try afew.

I think i'll look at cavity backed as i have a 3 hybrid that came with the set of irons which i have never got on with and i'm comfortable with my 5 wood off the fairway/semi rough.

Welcome along. My advice would be to try a few clubs out and see what suits. Not sure where you're located but you could try AG at Bird Hills or go to the Downshire Golf Centre and see Simon and I'm sure he'll give you some demo models to try

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome along, I would advocate splashing the cash, try out some clubs, narrow it down and then get fitted. Dont forget that tee's and gloves need to be fitted as well.

Check out the arrange a game section, H4h day is looming, if there are still places its a great way to meet people from on here.

fripnchips

Assistant Pro
Visit site
@HomerJSimpson - I'm just by the back of sand martins in wokingham. Playing at Downshire tomorrow so will pop and see Simon.

I think the game plan will be to go and test as many as i can until i find something im happy with and get them fitted. I guess im not in a desperate rush as i still have clubs i get on with albeit without my trusty 4iron now that will see me through so i don't have to panic buy.

Just looked at the H4H day and i already have commitments on that day but will be keeping my eye out for others.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
@HomerJSimpson - I'm just by the back of sand martins in wokingham. Playing at Downshire tomorrow so will pop and see Simon.

I think the game plan will be to go and test as many as i can until i find something im happy with and get them fitted. I guess im not in a desperate rush as i still have clubs i get on with albeit without my trusty 4iron now that will see me through so i don't have to panic buy.

Just looked at the H4H day and i already have commitments on that day but will be keeping my eye out for others.

What time you playing. I'm planning to hit the Downshire range around happy hour (12.30)

fripnchips

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Decided to go for the Cleveland 588 TT in the end having tried lots of different irons out these just felt right. Can't wait to get out on track and play them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Enjoy the new sticks. If you're considering membership and want to have a look at my place I'm happy to sign you in and have a knock round. Check out the website and it should give you an idea of prices (I think)

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum , take your time with buying new clubs , try many before you buy . Now for which golf club to join , that depends on what you want , A good playable course , not to expensive subs , flat course or one with many roll up so you can get to know everyone quickly , also important is what is it like in the winter . lastly about the forum , there are many experts on here on golf and football management to name just a couple of subjects , in general most are fine as are the meets so take your time with that too , I play in Poole so you can come down and play the best condition course in the area

fripnchips

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's a great offer thanks would love to take you up on that. New sticks shoulb be ready to pick up end of this week so hopefully some decent weather to come.

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
Hello All,

I am thinking it may be time to upgrade?

My current set up is
Driver - Nike Ignite 410.
3,5 Woods - Ram FX
Irons - Maxfli tour LTD
Wedges - 48,52 Cleveland 588.

My game has rapidly improved this year i guess from playing more and having a lesson or two from shooting high 90's to low to mid 80's (with putting being my Achilles heal).

I guess my question is would you hold off this season with what i have got and get some new irons over the winter or is now the time? Is there a type of iron that i would benefit from playing with or again hold out until i'm ready for what american golf call 'low handicap' clubs?

Cheers
Phil

Welcome back Phil, looks like you got your irons sorted, and the 588 TTs should do you well. Your driver is over 10 years old and your woods are knocking on too, so you'll definitely see big improvements if you find the right head/shaft combos for your swing. With all the winter launches coming up, I'd be temped to save making this upgrade until the Spring, when they'll be loads of quality 2013/2014 gear in the sales. That will also give you a few more months to work on your swing.

fripnchips

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Jake, Yeah the driver was an impulse ebay buy (£10 delivered) and the other woods i've had forever but they're fairly consistent for me they are next on the list when funds allow but i'm not in a rush. So for now i think the plan is to just get out as much as possible and work on my game (putting being the battle at the minute).

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
Thanks Jake, Yeah the driver was an impulse ebay buy (£10 delivered) and the other woods i've had forever but they're fairly consistent for me they are next on the list when funds allow but i'm not in a rush. So for now i think the plan is to just get out as much as possible and work on my game (putting being the battle at the minute).

Sounds like a top plan.

Here's a link to some putting drills from our Top 25 coaches, hopefully they'll help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY0YMpwvKsc&list=PLl3504ZoW2FP5-CqzlNRnG9a91yrdendd