Need Help-seeking competitive games/courses-new to London

Charlesmct

Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if someone can provide some guidance. I plan to be in London for work for about 8 months per year (coming from NYC). I am use to playing weekend competitive golf (Sat, Sun and maybe one week day). I play off of an 8. I am wondering if someone can help me find a group, a course, or a social club? I am open to all options including joining a club.

Thanks Charles

D

Deleted member 25172

First things first, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, do you ever shout “it’s in the hole” or “mashed potato” when/if you’re attending golf tournaments? If so, no help is to be found.

Thirdly. Where abouts in London will you be based and do you have a budget for membership in mind or is that somewhat irrelevant? There’s loads of options, but London is big, so if you’ll be based in South London for example, a recommendation of a club based in north London would be a bit daft.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
As above.. .. lots of courses close to London. The question of where you'll be based and your budget will tell folk on here where to direct you.

You might not know that the Greater London Area is twice the land area of New York City, hence the comment about where you’ll be based.

Last edited:

Charlesmct

Visit site
Thank you. I will be working in the City and living near Tower Bridge. I welcome any suggestions. Very flexible on price, looking for a nice course, easily accessible with a fun/competitive environment.

c

NoLayingUp

Visit site
A very warm welcome to the UK and the forum. Depending on your budget, Dulwich & Sydenham Golf Club is probably the closest you’re going to get to Tower Bridge. It has quite a hefty joining fee but if you’ll be returning year in year out then it may not sting as much. I do think they offer a form of social membership too.

Pleased see the link: https://www.dulwichgolf.co.uk/

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd add south herts, north middx, hadley wood, a couple of the enfield courses and crews hill to that list.
All easily accessible from moorgate using public transport.
For what the OP wants, I'd suggest membership is a must. This might prove tricky given recent events - I'd do a bit of research now about what's actually available to save wasting time.

D

Deleted member 25172

I'd add south herts, north middx, hadley wood, a couple of the enfield courses and crews hill to that list.
All easily accessible from moorgate using public transport.
For what the OP wants, I'd suggest membership is a must. This might prove tricky given recent events - I'd do a bit of research now about what's actually available to save wasting time.

Hadley Wood has got a waiting list in operation I saw when snooping around on their website.

South Herts - top choice and close to the tube. Played an open comp there 2 weeks ago and think someone mentioned a waiting list there now as well.

North Mid - Easy access from the tube, but the course itself is, in my opinion not only boring, but also dangerous with each pretty much stacked on top of each other. Heard their social scene at the club is supposed to be good though!

AAC

Visit site
I guess it depends on what type of club atmosphere you would want, if its a city boy type club then Brocket Hall or the Centurion club might fit the bill.

AAC

Visit site
If you don't want a city boy atmosphere I would be happy to host you for a game at WGC GC (its ataccessible from Moorgate or Kings Cross). Its a good members club with plenty going on at the weekend.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clubhouse is about the highest point on the course. If you are aware of where you are in relation to the clubhouse, you will know the predominant slope direction of the greens lol

Was a member there for few years quite a while back ?