National Anthems

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was going through some old posts(sad old me)and got interested in the anthems subject.The Italians have the best anthem in the world.The way their team sing it gets the heart going!As for a U.K.anthem well I don,t know what to go for,or are we all going to split up?????Personaly prefer Land Of My Fathers from my celtic cousins as a full stadium singing this is awesome!!! Any comments????

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not a royalist by any stretch of the imagination but until such time as it changes I'll continue to sing God save the queen at football etc. Personally I'd prefer Jerusalem or even Land of Hope and Glory.

Of the other nations, I agree that Land of my Fathers is pretty stirring stuff. I just want to stick that star spangled banner where the flag can't be unfurled and there is something about the French and German anthems that grates. Getting it back on a golfing track its a good job we don't have to listen to each players anthem as they tee it up on the 1st. Things like the Open will become 6 day events!!!

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
The Italians have the best anthem in the world.The way their team sing it gets the heart going!

[/QUOTE]

Have to disagree here somewhat ToyBoy. There is no way on earth the anyone can ignore the Welsh Anthem as being the best.
Now that is an anthem to get the heart singing and emotions flowing. It must surely be the best in the world - ever. :D

admittedly I'm somewhat biased.

John.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
sorry, the Italian anthem is awful - they may be passionate but as a tune it sucks!

the marseillaise is stirring stuff, ours and the Germans turgid. the yanks changes every time they change the singer.

Scottish has to be played by a massed pipe band, doesn't work any other way. I think Land of My Fathers was written to be sung in a stadium!

welshjim22

Head Pro
Visit site
Got to say nothing comes close to Land of My Fathers. I was in the Millenium stadium in 2001 when Wales beat Italy, hell they walked all of them and Italy played ok. Sitting in there with the roof closed and 60,000 Welsh fans singing it together was awesome. HID is always pissed when i say that was the best night i have ever had by a country mile and i mean it. Hate the UK national anthem, god save the tax waster, it shouldn't be the same as the English as it should represent all UK nations.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont see why our national anthem should be asking god to save one person. I think we should be singing about all things great in this country. Not much to sing about at the moment like.

Land of hope and glory gets my vote, it gets the hairs up everytime. Dont't really like any other anthems, but then again never really thought about them!

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Land of Hope and Glory all the time. Stirring patriotic stuff as a British Anthem.

Jerusalem does it for an English anthem.

Question:
Why is God Save the Queen the British and English anthem, when the Scots and Welsh have their own?

I also like the Russian anthem, fairly stirring stuff, reminds me of Vodka soaked Russian nationals though!

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I dont get the jerusalem thing, it is a hymn for crying out loud, why would we adopt that as a national anthem? Yes it is a good song, no doubt about it but to elevate it to that status???

Land of hope and glory is fantastic in my eyes.

God save the queen is however the national anthem and I shall always sing it with pride.

on the subject of national anthems, I cannot abide sportsmen who decline to sing, everytime I see rooney in an England line up I end up screaming "sing you little b@$t@rd" repeatedly. I dont like the little yob at the best of times but this is extracting the urine severely in my eyes.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
never ever sing god save the queen as I am Scottish and she has nothing to do with my nationality in my opinion absolutly nothing.Still thing the italians and french are good little dittys,my own anthem can sound superb when sung at Hampden in a full house but also can sound bloody dire when performed by an away grounds band infront of 5000 of us to pissed to keep tune! :)

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
never ever sing god save the queen as I am Scottish and she has nothing to do with my nationality in my opinion absolutly nothing.Still thing the italians and french are good little dittys,my own anthem can sound superb when sung at Hampden in a full house but also can sound bloody dire when performed by an away grounds band infront of 5000 of us to pissed to keep tune! :)

been there, done that :D

Red_Eyes

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have always liked the French anthem, because it was the first one taught to me properly all the way through.

Reading the above, it's really sad me being born and bred in the midlands.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
GSTQ is crap, I am very patriotic but it is dross.

Land of my fathers has a spot in my heart as great grandfather was from Wales.
French, German, USA all stomach churning.
Italian ok but no mention in the words about swapping sides and running ????

Chile, for me is the most stirring.

All that said, I still get a lump in the throat when one of our guys/gals wins something and anthem is played.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
on the subject of national anthems, I cannot abide sportsmen who decline to sing, everytime I see rooney in an England line up I end up screaming "sing you little b@$t@rd" repeatedly. I dont like the little yob at the best of times but this is extracting the urine severely in my eyes.

Be fair Jon, the poor boy couldn't possibly be expected to stretch his few brain cells around all the words of the national anthem.