Naming a provisiional ball

JohnnyF

Visit site
In a recent club matchplay game, my opponent hit his first ball on a par 3 well into the the trees/bushes to the left of a hole - he then said "I'll hit another" - as we walked off the tee he told me that "My first ball had pink dots and the second had a blue line" - I heard a shout of "Found my first one" and as i putted to the hole i saw the ball that he had chipped onto the green - surprise surprise it had a blue line - he sunk the putt to halve the hole. - when i asked him he simply said "Oh no the blue line was my first ball" - Not sure what the rules should have been or what my right of challenge may have been in these circumstances? Left a pretty sour taste especially as I lost on the first extra hole

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In a recent club matchplay game, my opponent hit his first ball on a par 3 well into the the trees/bushes to the left of a hole - he then said "I'll hit another" - as we walked off the tee he told me that "My first ball had pink dots and the second had a blue line" - I heard a shout of "Found my first one" and as i putted to the hole i saw the ball that he had chipped onto the green - surprise surprise it had a blue line - he sunk the putt to halve the hole. - when i asked him he simply said "Oh no the blue line was my first ball" - Not sure what the rules should have been or what my right of challenge may have been in these circumstances? Left a pretty sour taste especially as I lost on the first extra hole
My understanding is he declared the first ball as pink spots and therefore that is the ball in play. If he hit the other surely he isn't able to claim beyond refute that he has identified the ball. I'd have claimed loss of hole and told him he had clearly said the pink markings were in play at the time of hitting the provisional

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Identify the ball markings before a shot is played

Is the second ball a provisional if he's "hitting another"? In my mind that's 3 off the tee...

I also would have called him out for not appropriately saying which ball was which and changing mid hole - not acceptable and probably terms for loss of hole

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He told you the blue line ball was the provisional, so that was all the information you had to go on. You have to hold him to that really. You should have called him on it.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Identify the ball markings before a shot is played

Is the second ball a provisional if he's "hitting another"? In my mind that's 3 off the tee...

I also would have called him out for not appropriately saying which ball was which and changing mid hole - not acceptable and probably terms for loss of hole
Close enough to the definition of provisional to be a provisional, you don't have to use the words provisional ball

But regarding the pink v blue, he's just a cheat

wjemather

Visit site
You don't have to use the word provisional but you do have to make it clear that it is a provisional, for example, by adding words such as "just in case".
Rule 18.3b explicitly states that only saying you are playing another ball (e.g. "I'll hit another") is not enough, and doing so is putting another ball in play under stroke and distance.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
His second ball was unarguably his ball in play if he only said "I'll play another" and those who thought that was enough should learn or be in for a nasty surprise one of those days.

First he said his second ball had a blue line which would mean he continued with the correct ball having played 3 off the tee. Then he said his blue lined ball was his original which would meant he played a wrong ball and lost the hole. My thought is that he was at it and only said it was his original because he did not know of the stroke and distance penalty.

Your only recourse is to the committee by saying before starting the next hole that you would seek a ruling. He would have to be questioned in order to resolve the contradictions as the blue lined ball obviously cannot be both his original and his second. Whatever his answer, I'd take from there (assumption of player integrity) and the hope would be that he would lose the hole anyway because of the stroke and distance penalty.

Alternatively he loses the hole for messing with my mind.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You don't think this applies?

View attachment 55105
It's a grey area but I find that most people always assume you're hitting a provisional unless you say otherwise - if anything the rule should be written in reverse to reflect that. i.e. you have to state clearly that it's not a provisional. Just speaking hypothetically of course. But yeah, if someone I'm playing with said "Hmm, I'll hit another one.." I would always take that to mean provisional. Alternatively I'd expect him to say something more along the lines of "That's gone - I'm going 3 off the tee" if it was his intention to do that.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Why have this wishy washy uncertainty about playing a provisional?
It would be much clearer if the rules simply required that a player had to declare that the ball they were hitting was a PROVISIONAL.

No grey area and, more importantly, no more drawn out threads on the forum. :)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Why have this wishy washy uncertainty about playing a provisional?
It would be much clearer if the rules simply required that a player had to declare that the ball they were hitting was a PROVISIONAL.

No grey area and, more importantly, no more drawn out threads on the forum. :)
Well it kinda does, but with exceptions :geek:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's a grey area but I find that most people always assume you're hitting a provisional unless you say otherwise - if anything the rule should be written in reverse to reflect that. i.e. you have to state clearly that it's not a provisional. Just speaking hypothetically of course. But yeah, if someone I'm playing with said "Hmm, I'll hit another one.." I would always take that to mean provisional. Alternatively I'd expect him to say something more along the lines of "That's gone - I'm going 3 off the tee" if it was his intention to do that.
It’s written the way it is - so if a player with me has not made clear what he is doing I will ask ‘are you playing a provisional or putting a new ball in play’. Often I’ll simply ask the first part and not bother with the ‘new ball’ bit. I’ve never had any issue from anyone when I so ask - and sometimes I have to ask more than once. So be it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s written the way it is - so if a player with me has not made clear what he is doing I will ask ‘are you playing a provisional or putting a new ball in play’. Often I’ll simply ask the first part and not bother with the ‘new ball’ bit. I’ve never had any issue from anyone when I so ask - and sometimes I have to ask more than once. So be it.
Yeah I often do the same. "You going provisional?" Answer: "yep". Problem avoided.