My swing from a few months ago.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
[video=youtube;11H-qgbJZDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11H-qgbJZDA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I had a few lessons around the time of this video where my previous pro was trying to get me to drop the club more on the inside on my down swing which was working for a while but I'm not sure if this is a good idea now. My bad shot is a push or hook so I'm thinking I may have got too far inside. I want to go and see another pro for a second opinion but money is a bit tight at the moment as I'm getting married in July. What do you guys think (Imurg, this is not one for you to answer ;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
.What do you guys think (Imurg, this is not one for you to answer ;)

Ha!
The merest thought never even contemplated the possibility of entering my head - for about a millisecond!!

Pick it to pieces Guys, give him loads of swing thoughts and destroy his Golf game!!:whoo::cheers:

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Ha!
The merest thought never even contemplated the possibility of entering my head - for about a millisecond!!

Pick it to pieces Guys, give him loads of swing thoughts and destroy his Golf game!!:whoo::cheers:

Haha I wondered how long it would take.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You absolutely mash one with about 3yds of draw and then post it asking how your swing is? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd say your hands drop a little too low behind you in transition giving you the opportunity to get stuck which means blocking the ball right OR stalling then flipping the face closed and hooking. Good swing though...and you look like you have size 18 feet :confused:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You absolutely mash one with about 3yds of draw and then post it asking how your swing is? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd say your hands drop a little too low behind you in transition giving you the opportunity to get stuck which means blocking the ball right OR stalling then flipping the face closed and hooking. Good swing though...and you look like you have size 18 feet :confused:

Yes. Keep swinging like that and practice the short game.

Icons? That style tends to exaggerate the toe length.

Balance (my hobby-horse) and timing of/in the transition is probably the key to whether you swing well or block/hook on any day. Squats/Plank might help the balance.

Last edited:

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site

Thanks James, yes that's pretty much what I thought was going on but my ex pro was trying to get me to hit the ball even more from the inside :confused:

As Foxholer has said yes they are Icons, only size 8 though.....must be my sparrow like legs :rofl:

Foxholer: Funnily enough I've been working out since this video doing planks, deadlifts trying to get a little stronger which seems to be working. Also I think you're right my swing does rely on timing, I can either be really good or have some absolute shockers hence why I wanted you all to take a look at my swing.

Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ssshhh I don't think he knows yet.

I thought maybe that's why he's been a bit odd lately.

:)

Chap your swing looks great, wouldn't be able to offer anything by way of critique, looks like you smash it how far do you drive normally?!

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought maybe that's why he's been a bit odd lately.

:)

Chap your swing looks great, wouldn't be able to offer anything by way of critique, looks like you smash it how far do you drive normally?!

Maybe he does know then, just don't tell my other half & do believe she would kill me.

Thanks Curls. It depends on the conditions I'd say in Summer around the 285 to 290 mark but I regularly crank them out to 300 in good conditions. On my last driver fitting my good strikes were around 169-172mph ball speed so 113-116mph clubhead speed.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe he does know then, just don't tell my other half & do believe she would kill me.

Thanks Curls. It depends on the conditions I'd say in Summer around the 285 to 290 mark but I regularly crank them out to 300 in good conditions. On my last driver fitting my good strikes were around 169-172mph ball speed so 113-116mph clubhead speed.

Fair play hammer, you don't need advice from me! Hopefully someone will offer something, I posted mine a while back and got some good advice, thing is it made my game go to the absolute dogs for a week or so. I'm back to just laying into it :)

I know to get to your level I'll have to go for lessons and work hard at it, so for now I'm just going to see how low I can go on my own and when I plateau take the hit, I'm out there to enjoy it and having 5 swing thoughts in my head before topping it isn't enjoyable.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Simon

Looks like i have seen this in the nick of time, your swing wil need alot of work to get it lke mine and have you scoring better

Firstly you need to swing far more out to in, you will never slice it with that swing

Secondly you could do with putting on some weight maybe 3 to 4 stone this will help with stability

Next you must change that driver, have you considered Slazenger perhaps as an upgrade ?

Finally you look too much like a golfer, i would suggest cargo pants or maybe cords with a tank top ?

After that you should be able to drive it at least 50yds further to the right of fairway and look cool while doing that with the new Slazer driver

If you need any further tips from a real "xpert" do not hesitate to ask, we should start to see a real change to that HCP of yours if you put in the minutes of practice i have suggested, or go to the pub and a curry that will work too

Good luck, keep it on the next fairway

Hacker Wolfie

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Did he offer a reason?

No he just said he wanted me to start the ball to the right and draw in back to the centre of the fairway/green. He told me by dropping the club to the inside and swinging to the right just after impact would get the desired result. I've since heard some bad things about doing this and thought I'd ask for some opinions.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Simon

Looks like i have seen this in the nick of time, your swing wil need alot of work to get it lke mine and have you scoring better

Firstly you need to swing far more out to in, you will never slice it with that swing

Secondly you could do with putting on some weight maybe 3 to 4 stone this will help with stability

Next you must change that driver, have you considered Slazenger perhaps as an upgrade ?

Finally you look too much like a golfer, i would suggest cargo pants or maybe cords with a tank top ?

After that you should be able to drive it at least 50yds further to the right of fairway and look cool while doing that with the new Slazer driver

If you need any further tips from a real "xpert" do not hesitate to ask, we should start to see a real change to that HCP of yours if you put in the minutes of practice i have suggested, or go to the pub and a curry that will work too

Good luck, keep it on the next fairway

Hacker Wolfie

Nice post Wolfman how much is Imurg paying you? :lol:

I'm working on the weight, I've truned 30 now so the belly is just starting to appear.

I've always wondered what a Slazenger driver could do for my game, either that or a Hammer......POWWWW.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
No he just said he wanted me to start the ball to the right and draw in back to the centre of the fairway/green. He told me by dropping the club to the inside and swinging to the right just after impact would get the desired result. I've since heard some bad things about doing this and thought I'd ask for some opinions.

You don't need to SWING more from the inside to HIT the ball more from the inside, it's about positioning your low point in front of the ball so that the path is enough from the inside without adversely affecting the strike.

Swinging out to the right is a BAD thing, you should 'feel' like you always swing straight (but just happen to catch the ball as the club approaches from the inside). As a DRILL people swing out to the right, especially if they are serial slicers and are trying to cure their OTT move.

So the question is, did your pro want you to swing more from the inside or HIT more from the inside.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
You don't need to SWING more from the inside to HIT the ball more from the inside, it's about positioning your low point in front of the ball so that the path is enough from the inside without adversely affecting the strike.

Swinging out to the right is a BAD thing, you should 'feel' like you always swing straight (but just happen to catch the ball as the club approaches from the inside). As a DRILL people swing out to the right, especially if they are serial slicers and are trying to cure their OTT move.

So the question is, did your pro want you to swing more from the inside or HIT more from the inside.

He was asking me to get my hands coming more from the inside and then swing to the right after the strike so I assume he meant swing from the inside.

I think I know what you mean when you say positioning your low point in front of the ball as I've seen some trackman videos about it. They said the more down you hit the further left you have to swing?

The thing is how do you hit from the inside with the driver whilst hitting up on it & not swinging from the inside, is it just as simple as aiming to the right and swing normally?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The thing is how do you hit from the inside with the driver whilst hitting up on it & not swinging from the inside, is it just as simple as aiming to the right and swing normally?

It is.

The more up you swing at impact with a driver the more the club is swinging back to the left as it has already passed it's low point. So you have a few options (1) From a square stance you can force the swing out to the right whilst hitting up by swinging as you are, out to the right, this risks getting stuck, blocking and hooking but great if you can do it... Tiger used to and hit the right hand rough more than any other golfer for about a decade. (2) Aim more right to move the path more to the right (so it's not going left through impact) and swing more 'normally', less chance of getting stuck but if you block it you are already aiming right - so then you're definitely in the right rough. (3) Aim straight and hit LESS up.

The issue with playing the draw is amateurs play for TOO MUCH draw. An ideal draw would start pretty straight and draw just a few yards but amateurs tend to hit raking draws down the right hand side of fairways and expect 10-15yds of movement or more!

If you watch golf on the TV nowadays you might notice that people tend to end up in the LEFT rough more often now as they are playing for that more than they are playing to end up in the right rough.

I would say the ideal strategy is to aim a fraction right of center, clubface dead square down the center of the fairway and swing along the line of your toes (eg: from a slightly closed stance - shoulders too!!!) Just watch the ball position doesn't get too far forward if you aim to the right (which tends to happen) as that means the path will be even MORE up, and even MORE to the left, sounds complicated I know, but it's just geometry, once you get the hang of it it's easy :mad:;):p Once you accept that the left rough is just as good (if not better) than the right rough because you will be able to hit ANOTHER DRAW from the left rough then you can rip it!

Last edited: