My Swing Feb' 2013

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The path that you take the club on looks fine although the club looks perhaps a sniff too far outside your hands (hard to tell as the camera man needs shooting!!!) :thup:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
To me it appears that the little move you do before the swing to check your club path is all wrong, like you're taking your hands WAY outside the line. Not something you want to be practicing in a preshot routine.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
To me it appears that the little move you do before the swing to check your club path is all wrong, like you're taking your hands WAY outside the line. Not something you want to be practising in a pre-shot routine.

I think the little move in the pre-shot is part of a drill to help the OP to exaggerate the opposite of his inside takeaway, so when he takes his swing it will be less inside.

Many pro's do something similar in their pre-shot routines when shaping shots are if they are struggling with hook etc... It is more about a feeling than actually doing it in the swing when striking the ball.

For me I swung outside, so had to feel like my back swing was near vertical. In reality it was on plane but to me it felt so awkward until it was comfortable. When the OP feel comfortable with the right take away he will prob stop this pre-shot feeling.

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the little move in the pre-shot is part of a drill to help the OP to exaggerate the opposite of his inside takeaway, so when he takes his swing it will be less inside.

Many pro's do something similar in their pre-shot routines when shaping shots are if they are struggling with hook etc... It is more about a feeling than actually doing it in the swing when striking the ball.

For me I swung outside, so had to feel like my back swing was near vertical. In reality it was on plane but to me it felt so awkward until it was comfortable. When the OP feel comfortable with the right take away he will prob stop this pre-shot feeling.

spot on ! :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd try and eliminate (the need for) that pre-shot move!

You lose your spine angle (getting more upright) once you get back past halfway.

Down-swing looks pretty good, though you seem to bow your wrist to flatten it onto plane.

Club-head seems to rocket left after impact, though that may just be the camera angles. Doesn't seem to have been much weight transfer either.

Connection sounded pretty good. What's the normal shot shape? High with a touch of fade? And an occasional pull?

You look quite tall. Some would say that flattening the swing would give better results, but that can also completely screw things up for tall players - who tend to seem steep (Hunter Mahan a notable eception!). Might be worth trying to get slightly flatter - moving the ball further from you at set-up might help - but a slightly shorter back-swing and better weight transfer would seem to be the area where more consistency could result.

Grip, particularly left thumb, is always worth checking too.

Good Luck

Btw. Looks like the camera man was shot at, but the bullet hit the toe of that (4?) iron! :D

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
looks a lot like what im working on at the moment , have ya tried a mark in front of the ball & make sure you swing through over it ?, , i persume the ball behind is the visual for the proper take away ?

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
looks a lot like what im working on at the moment , have ya tried a mark in front of the ball & make sure you swing through over it ?, , i persume the ball behind is the visual for the proper take away ?

no i haven't, but i will try it when the snow melts ! :) yes, as my takeaway was far too inside

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
He didn't take you from what you had then to what you have now in one lesson?

That's probably the best swing I've ever seen posted on the forum in 3 1/2 years :thup:

If you posted "Hi, I'm currently playing off +2 and looking for some swing advice" I'd believe it... and tell you to work on getting up and down around the greens more.

Last edited:

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
He didn't take you from what you had then to what you have now in one lesson?

That's probably the best swing I've ever seen posted on the forum in 3 1/2 years :thup:

If you posted "Hi, I'm currently playing off +2 and looking for some swing advice" I'd believe it... and tell you to work on getting up and down around the greens more.

no no, i wasn't as bad as that but was still pretty shocking.

wow, thanks ! that really means a lot, been working really hard on my swing as of late and glad to know that (aesthetically) it looks good ! my biggest struggle at the moment is short game ; usually around the 36 putt mark and only make around 50-60 percent of 6 footers, which i need to work on.

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
So your ball flight is either straight or a slight fade?

(we all need to work on our putting, good greens help!)

yep - can hit a draw when i need to but i much prefer hitting a fade. short game's getting on my nerves recently, bobbly + icy + with unrepaired pitchmarked greens make it difficult to even practice my short game !

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
This position is awesome... I love it....

ddd.gif

Grip exiting left (CP release) clubhead stays to the outside... very nice. Swing powered with the left pivot, left arm stays connected, very little (if any) wrist action, left hip pulls the grip inside and leftwards, the arms just go along for the ride, club squares automatically with the turn..... tons of lag if you want it..... sometimes referred to as 'disappearing hands'....

[video=youtube;snn4sMMFWOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snn4sMMFWOs[/video]

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
This position is awesome... I love it....

ddd.gif

Grip exiting left (CP release) clubhead stays to the outside... very nice. Swing powered with the left pivot, left arm stays connected, very little (if any) wrist action, left hip pulls the grip inside and leftwards, the arms just go along for the ride, club squares automatically with the turn..... tons of lag if you want it..... sometimes referred to as 'disappearing hands'....

[video=youtube;snn4sMMFWOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snn4sMMFWOs[/video]
so are you saying that my clubhead isnt going left too quickly ? foxholer mentioned this in his post and i noticed it but wasn't sure

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
only make around 50-60 percent of 6 footers, which i need to work on.

While I would NEVER tell anyone not to practice putting as much as they can, remember that the pros make less than 60% between 6-10 feet. Don't beat yourself up over that stat too much.