My Right Foot

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
[video]https://youtu.be/gdQL8NA2ruc[/video]

My mate videoed my swing the other night (hence the video quality) I'm happy with most of what I can see, there's some good improvement in things I've been working on, I'm still slightly across the line at the top due to the slightly flying elbow and I'm posting better to my left side, but what I've seen in this video is that my right foot seems to be firing too early. Any thoughts or drills to correct, do I even need to correct?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Id be more concerned about your take away.
I cant be sure but your right hand looks weak which is fanning the club open on the back swing which will contribute to your block fade.
Try moving your right hand clockwise A LITTLE, that should help

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
To be fair Adam it's the worst swing I've ever seen. Put on "buy it now" on EBay and I'll buy it for £5!!

Now, who thinks they've got problems with their putting?? I could get to single figures in no time this way!!

:thup::thup:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[video]https://youtu.be/gdQL8NA2ruc[/video]

My mate videoed my swing the other night (hence the video quality) I'm happy with most of what I can see, there's some good improvement in things I've been working on, I'm still slightly across the line at the top due to the slightly flying elbow and I'm posting better to my left side, but what I've seen in this video is that my right foot seems to be firing too early. Any thoughts or drills to correct, do I even need to correct?

Is that the 7th ?

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Id be more concerned about your take away.
I cant be sure but your right hand looks weak which is fanning the club open on the back swing which will contribute to your block fade.
Try moving your right hand clockwise A LITTLE, that should help

I'll have go at that tonight, so that's "too many knuckles visible on my right hand" (heard out of context someone might get the wrong idea about that comment!)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll have go at that tonight, so that's "too many knuckles visible on my right hand" (heard out of context someone might get the wrong idea about that comment!)

Yes, just turn it to the right a little. That will help you keep the club face pointing at the ball a little longer on the takeaway

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From memory that was pretty straight, seem to have developed a fade recently from what used to be a draw, which I'd like to get back to. Common miss is a block fade.

couple of things, my take, would be worth thinking over some. although this just the dtl view in 2d so am just matching observations to other Cat 1 players showing similar traits. you got down to where you are so you have good hand eye co-ordination, physicality etc but getting the index lower still most often requires looking at the minutia, but depends in the end what you're looking to do with the game.

here's a few observations assuming you looking to get down the index ladder further - shoot par or better more often.

take a close look at set up (in this one particular swing) couple things I'd look at. look at the arm hang you'll see a good piece of the left forearm 'under/below' the right this puts your shoulders little ways open to aim line - then depends some to on face alignment, whether aligned to aim line or with the shoulder line. along with this right arm 'high' it's pretty much dead straight - no slight softness at the elbow joint.

folks organized at address in this way it has often times meant that the sternum/head looking at the ball rather than some distance behind the forwards ball position. so negated to some extent that forwards ball as the 'center' has moved 'to' the ball some.
the 'high' straight right arm often times goes with a pretty strong grip pressure & pretty 'tight' forearms - something that 'passes' the tension up the arms to 'tighten' upper chest shoulders which hampers chest turn - in detail makes the thoracic less able to tilt/bend against the lumbar spine.

so keeping that in mind if you then look at the takeaway to hands at hip height you see a couple of things that often follow on.

there's a little ways disconnect between chest turn & arms. (yes arms & club, clubhead have to travel further distance than the turn but you'll get timing & arm/hands/club face rotation issues if the arms move to much leaving the chest turn/left shoulder behind some)

if you look at the lower part (to hip height) of movement back the arms move pretty far, left shoulder doesn't turn so much this has a tendency to make the arms/hands over rotate - can feel like the hands setting but there's more of a roll over left over right rotation which has the angle open. then as the back swing continues & the chest does rotate this then puts the shaft 'across the line' the 'higher' left elbow is a product of all this not a causation.

you then somehow got to re engage the club/hands/arms with the lower body & upper body into impact. if the hips move to clear quick with a bunch of rotation then at some point hips & turn will have to stall out to allow arms/hands & club to catch up. the right foot/leg a product of the lower body rotation, you look at the left foot at impact you'll see that's over rotated & twisted toes to target. seen this is other good players swings as from transition there's been more lower body rotation at the start down, no real lower body small bump back left before the rotation.

but keep in mind all this from one 2d dtl view - (face on view would help some too) - & looking at other Cat 1 players swings having the aid of a 3d LM that have showed 'similar' traits.

as said you're a good player so often times you can make that adjustments to get face to ball to get ball to target but they'll also be a bunch of times when it doesn't quite 'fit' back together so then you get the different kind of shots you don't really expect to be still hitting.

always good to look at hands on the handle if one or both are in a good place or need tweaking for sure.
but would definitely consider reviewing set -up alignments & how that then affects the start & development of backswing which then has a bearing on downswing so impact & shot results.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just few images that may help illustrate what I was meaning about the turn/arm disconnect, how the amount of arm/hand club travel to the amount the left shoulder has traveled has influenced the hand/arm/face rotation going back to the top little ways across the line.

you can see how JD's left shoulder has traveled more in connection with the arms & club travel. plus take a look at his set-up & arm hang.

my take would be the right foot/leg & left foot rotation into & through impact is, like the right elbow position is just a by-product of set up & initial movement back. they would change naturally with a few changes at set up & first movements away from the ball.

0xGCmgH.png
[/IMG]
SzGr5eJ.png
[/IMG]
b8S1a0T.png
[/IMG]
2xck7VJ.png
[/IMG]
GScLgQE.png
[/IMG]
xZpWFWC.png
[/IMG]
1Q7reAS.png
[/IMG]

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
couple of things, my take, would be worth thinking over some. although this just the dtl view in 2d so am just matching observations to other Cat 1 players showing similar traits. you got down to where you are so you have good hand eye co-ordination, physicality etc but getting the index lower still most often requires looking at the minutia, but depends in the end what you're looking to do with the game.

here's a few observations assuming you looking to get down the index ladder further - shoot par or better more often.

take a close look at set up (in this one particular swing) couple things I'd look at. look at the arm hang you'll see a good piece of the left forearm 'under/below' the right this puts your shoulders little ways open to aim line - then depends some to on face alignment, whether aligned to aim line or with the shoulder line. along with this right arm 'high' it's pretty much dead straight - no slight softness at the elbow joint.

folks organized at address in this way it has often times meant that the sternum/head looking at the ball rather than some distance behind the forwards ball position. so negated to some extent that forwards ball as the 'center' has moved 'to' the ball some.
the 'high' straight right arm often times goes with a pretty strong grip pressure & pretty 'tight' forearms - something that 'passes' the tension up the arms to 'tighten' upper chest shoulders which hampers chest turn - in detail makes the thoracic less able to tilt/bend against the lumbar spine.

so keeping that in mind if you then look at the takeaway to hands at hip height you see a couple of things that often follow on.

there's a little ways disconnect between chest turn & arms. (yes arms & club, clubhead have to travel further distance than the turn but you'll get timing & arm/hands/club face rotation issues if the arms move to much leaving the chest turn/left shoulder behind some)

if you look at the lower part (to hip height) of movement back the arms move pretty far, left shoulder doesn't turn so much this has a tendency to make the arms/hands over rotate - can feel like the hands setting but there's more of a roll over left over right rotation which has the angle open. then as the back swing continues & the chest does rotate this then puts the shaft 'across the line' the 'higher' left elbow is a product of all this not a causation.

you then somehow got to re engage the club/hands/arms with the lower body & upper body into impact. if the hips move to clear quick with a bunch of rotation then at some point hips & turn will have to stall out to allow arms/hands & club to catch up. the right foot/leg a product of the lower body rotation, you look at the left foot at impact you'll see that's over rotated & twisted toes to target. seen this is other good players swings as from transition there's been more lower body rotation at the start down, no real lower body small bump back left before the rotation.

but keep in mind all this from one 2d dtl view - (face on view would help some too) - & looking at other Cat 1 players swings having the aid of a 3d LM that have showed 'similar' traits.

as said you're a good player so often times you can make that adjustments to get face to ball to get ball to target but they'll also be a bunch of times when it doesn't quite 'fit' back together so then you get the different kind of shots you don't really expect to be still hitting.

always good to look at hands on the handle if one or both are in a good place or need tweaking for sure.
but would definitely consider reviewing set -up alignments & how that then affects the start & development of backswing which then has a bearing on downswing so impact & shot results.

Cripes! That's a lot of information to process, think I might print off when I get to the office tomorrow and highlight and take notes.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a play with my grip Wednesday night turning my right hand just a fraction to the right, was hitting the ball straight, sometimes with a soft draw (Yay!), found this had the chain reaction of softening my right elbow.