My lesson, and what I'm working on

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all.

I thought I'd post this up as I'm a returning golfer discovering lots of things having given up the game for 10 years and taking it back up last year.

My wife bought me a lesson with the Head Pro at Stoke Park in Buckinghamshire, which was a huge eye opener for me and probably the best use of 1 hour I can remember since I started the game.

This is a recorning of the lesson here :

http://www.v1sports.com/Academy/include/player.asp?academy=JYGA&accountid=1177579&swingid=1135665

In summary , reverse pivot, overswing and casting/scooping. Suffice to say since this lesson I've been working hard on the fixes and planning on posting a vid of my improved swing shortly, but the results on the range have been startling so far in a good way.

:thup:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't watch that chap, needs a plugin I'm not allowed download at work! Many folk post it on Youtube or Flickr etc, glad you have something to work on and you got the bug back, I'm back 2 years or so after a 15 year absence and wondering why I ever left!

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Here's the Youtube upload [video=youtube;rroUAHaRoZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rroUAHaRoZc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That was very interesting! Didn't know Mark Lawrenson was a golf pro!

:)

Glad you're on the right path and it sounds as if you get on with the pro which really helps. Nice one.

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That was very interesting! Didn't know Mark Lawrenson was a golf pro!

:)

Glad you're on the right path and it sounds as if you get on with the pro which really helps. Nice one.

Cheers :)

He does sound like Mark Lawrenson doesn't he ! :)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
that shoulder turn tip is the exact thing JustOne advised me to do. I havent been doing it but after watching your vid I am gonna start again (apologies James, I forgot all about our little chat :) )

look forward to the next posting Mozza ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Only thing I see wrong there is the sliding of your right hip (to the right), it should turn behind you (stand up straight, turn your hips... which way does your right hip go??) you're trying to restrict the hip turn and sliding as a result.

Don't mind that drill but the way it's shown actually promotes the hip slide, the shaft should turn down towards the ball somewhat whilst the head stays STILL, right hip turns BEHIND YOU.

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
that shoulder turn tip is the exact thing JustOne advised me to do. I havent been doing it but after watching your vid I am gonna start again (apologies James, I forgot all about our little chat :) )

look forward to the next posting Mozza ;)

Cheers G1bbo :)

Only thing I see wrong there is the sliding of your right hip (to the right), it should turn behind you (stand up straight, turn your hips... which way does your right hip go??) you're trying to restrict the hip turn and sliding as a result.

Don't mind that drill but the way it's shown actually promotes the hip slide, the shaft should turn down towards the ball somewhat whilst the head stays STILL, right hip turns BEHIND YOU.

Thats a very good point and something I work hard on with my practice drills after this lesson - "Right Pocket back" as he said - very concious of not sliding my hips which is something that is very easy to do and as you say - almost encouraged in the drill.

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Right then

so here is the updated swing, still lots to work on, mainly shortening the backswing ( ideally I want to be swinging to 2 oclock, not 3) but the main thing is the hand lag is improved and casting is nearly gone, mainly I believe as a result of my improved weight transfer.

[video=youtube;mXcAID4yafc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXcAID4yafc[/video]

Any comments or advice very much appreciated guys.

cheers

John

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers Gary. I'm around 90 gross at the moment, admittedly more time spent on the range than on the course , but now my swing confidence is growing so I'm keen to get out and see if it improves my scoring. :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
that swing looks like a tour pro compared to my one. just nail the short game and implement some sound course management and you should see that score coming right down.

hows your basic short game. as you can see there is plenty of threads on here at the minute discussing the different ways to pitch/chip. once you get that nailed you will be flying!

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
that swing looks like a tour pro compared to my one. just nail the short game and implement some sound course management and you should see that score coming right down.

hows your basic short game. as you can see there is plenty of threads on here at the minute discussing the different ways to pitch/chip. once you get that nailed you will be flying!

Thankyou mate, very encouraging words, and from your handicap you clearly know what you are talking about! You are spot on about the short game too.

J