Music on the course

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Anyone listen to music while playing? And I'm not talking about earphone.

Caddied yesterday for a big group of orthopaedic surgeons from the US. All 4 guys in our group had Bluetooth speakers in there bags and all had them going. Different stuff but mosty C &W and Rock. A few of the other groups had them as well. Tbh it didn't bother me other than what they were actually listening to was not to my taste. Got me wondering if this was a thing elsewhere. Tbh never seen ot heard anyone apart from Americans doing this.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Caddied yesterday for a big group of orthopaedic surgeons from the US. All 4 guys in our group had Bluetooth speakers in there bags and all had them going. Different stuff but mosty C &W and Rock. A few of the other groups had them as well. Tbh it didn't bother me other than what they were actually listening to was not to my taste. Got me wondering if this was a thing elsewhere. Tbh never seen ot heard anyone apart from Americans doing this.

I've never come across anyone doing that. How loud was the music?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Some young guys at my old place used to take music round with them - could usually hear it from an adjacent fairway. Quite like the idea of it myself although I've never done it - but in a social round, why not?

Reactions: pwc

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The idea of blaring music on the course seems absurd to me, but I understand it's fairly commonplace in America. Then again so is drinking 12 cans of lager while you play, which I think is bizarre as well.

I don't think many UK courses would take too kindly to music being blared out would they??

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did play once early morning at Pyrford on my own and was coming down the 18th listening to an 80s compilation and a Flock of Seagulls was on. The club GM had driven over to catch up with me on some committee business, heard what I was listening to and I never heard the end of it.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

That's not something I would like on the course and am surprised you allowed it. ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't be against it as I'll play through people talking. I try to surround myself with noise so I'm used to it . Then can't be put off by in

But never have and prob wouldn't set about to. If someone wanted to fair enough

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Friend sometimes brings speakers when we play golf abroad. No problem with it, very relaxed and doesn't disturb concentration in the slightest.

Challenge is getting the right volume so can be heard by you but doesn't disturb others. Probably easier on some Spanish courses for example where the holes aren't tight together whereas UK courses can be more compact which would cause an issue.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
An American chap landed out to out course on his own a few weeks ago. Driving a buggy on his todd blaring music was he went.
He was chopping it round and having a ball to himself.
Seemed completely at ease doing something most would feel slightly embarrassed about.
He hit it on our fairway. Drove over. Chatted. Then drove off. Pleasant chap but it was definitely a clash of cultures.
My mates dad couldn't for the life of him work out where the music was coming from much to our amusement.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My parents went to a Country and Western Club in Woking in the 1970s. My sister and I are still in therapy as a result.

Americans are wonderful. Get drunk playing, loud music, shoot 120 and claim 74... not all ideas are that bad though.

They tried bikini clad cart girls at Aberdovey one summer. It was called off when hypothermia set in!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly this. Played with a really nice guy in Houston who played awful country music through his bag, shot probably 40 ish over (I don’t know, when you can’t find your ball and just throw one randomly somewhere and carry on apparently that’s a thing) and then told his buddy at the end he wasn’t disappointed with his 82 given he’s off 9. He made a couple of pars at most. Bonkers. I’m playing there Sunday, no doubt there’ll be shenanigans, there pretty much always is. But strangely the music didn’t really put me off so much. It was like I could accept this absolute garbage as part of a party experience. So the beers flowed, the cart girls made their tips, the round took 5 hours plus and we all had a great time. There’s a time and place for everything I suppose

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When playing (practicing) by myself late afternoons when course is quiet (as it usually is) I have started playing radio on my phone - quietly and usually music - as it actually helps my practice. It engages me between shots and stops me doing too much thinking about the shot I have played and especially my next shot. So when I get to my ball I only then switch to focussing fully on the shot, play it, then switch back. I am actually finding this good ‘mind training’ for when I am playing competitive or qualifying golf.

I only do it playing alone and wouldn’t if course was busy and I could distract others.