moving to standard length clubs

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all. Ive used 1 inch longer irons for quite a long time now after a fitting. Im now going to get new irons as my current set are getting old.

Given that custom fit only seems to be offered on the very latest sets, you are looking at 600 for wilsons up to well over a grand for other brands.

Id rather buy used to get more value, but most of those sets are standard length.

Has anyone gone from longer length clubs on to standard? What was the outcome?

I suppose the other route is extensions but am not keen on them due to swingweight etc.

AdamC28

Visit site
Personally if i had been fitted for longer clubs and had been playing with them for a while I would be sticking with it.
Could try phoning somewhere like Golfbidder for a chat, I'm sure they'd have some decent 2nd hand options to suit your specs.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
An inch is a long way on a golf shaft, especially irons
You may find that you have to hunch over a little to get the club properly on the ground d.
Your natural height may take over and you end up thinning everything
As has been said, seek out some 2nd handers with a similar spec.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can get shaft extentions that are glued into the shaft under the grip. I have done a few of my own for odd clubs in the past and it is fine:)
Not that expensive, just however many extentions you need, so araldite and a set of new grips ideally:)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple answer is speak to a pro and ask what they think. You could hit a couple off an impact board to see what it shows. Golfbidder do add in their descriptions where clubs are above standard length and usually by how much if you decide you want to go second hand

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. ebay has very few 1" longer sets (think there are currently 3 or 4) but will check out the golfbidder and also get on a monitor with a standard club with a pro.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How tall are you?
It’s more your wrist to floor measurements.
I am 6’1” but play standard length clubs because I have long arms.
Go on the ping.com static fit website if you fill in the info it will tell you what length but it’s only a guideline.
but 1” long you can go down the grip if nessesary, but if the shafts are to short you have a problem.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I suppose the other route is extensions but am not keen on them due to swingweight etc.
This shouldn't be a problem. If you order fitted clubs 1" longer the manufacturer will use the same heads as standard length clubs so you'll have been using clubs with a slightly higher swingweight all along. The metal evtenders weigh about the same as the Shaft so that shouldn't be a problem.

I would buy a used set whose grips need replacing & just extend & regrip them.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
An inch is a long way on a golf shaft, especially irons
You may find that you have to hunch over a little to get the club properly on the ground d.
Your natural height may take over and you end up thinning everything
As has been said, seek out some 2nd handers with a similar spec.
Is that not a bit daft. There's a lot of difference in length between a 4 iron & a wedge but we don't automatically thin the short irons.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is that not a bit daft. There's a lot of difference in length between a 4 iron & a wedge but we don't automatically thin the short irons.
Posture
Assuming your irons have the same graduation of length and like, your posture should remain pretty similar.
If you're tall and you use short length irons then you're going to have to hunch over to ground the club correctly
As you swing there could be a tendency to stand up a little to regain your natural posture/height leading to thin contact with the ball.
Conversely, using clubs that are too long can lead to fats

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Posture
Assuming your irons have the same graduation of length and like, your posture should remain pretty similar.
If you're tall and you use short length irons then you're going to have to hunch over to ground the club correctly
As you swing there could be a tendency to stand up a little to regain your natural posture/height leading to thin contact with the ball.
Conversely, using clubs that are too long can lead to fats

This is a myth. I am 6' 0". I have two mates 6' 3" & 5' 7". When we stand together with hands by our sides their wrist to floor distance is the same. My hands are much lower due to unusually short legs & gorilla arms. Most people of a standard build, irrespective of their height, will have similar wrist to floor measurements. I don't use shorter clubs because I like to feel the head & shortening them would make the swingweight too light. I think swingweight is more important than the effect of length on posture.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you order fitted clubs 1" longer the manufacturer will use the same heads as standard length clubs so you'll have been using clubs with a slightly higher swingweight all along. The metal evtenders weigh about the same as the Shaft so that shouldn't be a problem.

Not correct. The better manufacturers add shaft weights or lead to the hosel to correct the difference in in swing weights.

I presume you mean the extender weighs about the same as the extra piece of shaft in a +1" shaft.

As said already changing to a different type of grip can change swing weight anyway.